Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Going Lq4 and need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going Lq4 and need advice

I have a 68 Camaro, has a mid 12 sec 385 in it with a cracked block. The motor has been trouble since day one so I'm going to part it all out and go LS. My room mate manages a salvage yard and is offering a 120k mile 03 lq4 to me for $100 complete. The motor was sold previously, installed into a truck and the buyer complained of a "knock". Motor was yanked and he gave them another one.

I plan to take it directly to a machine shop and have it looked at to make sure it is indeed worthwhile. I can get a "non questionable" motor from him for $700 if need be. I want to have APR rod bolt, new bearings, LS9 headgaskets, cam and valve spring installed while it's at the machine shop. Now as to where my questions begin.....

This motor will be carbed with some sort of forced induction planned in the distant future. I don't plan on boosting the hell out of it just making it into the 10's is cool with me. But I will be driving it n/a for awhile

-While it's apart should I add forged pistons? How strong are the stock rods and crank?

-should I install a blower cam now? I'd like to have it faster n/a than my old SBC was. 11.50's would be great.

-I know I need the holley plates for my SBC mounts and MSD 6010. Will I need anything else to mate to a coan racing th400?

-Which carb and intake do you recommend? Most seem to say vic jr and a holley.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Going Lq4 and need advice