Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intercooler choice????

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Intercooler choice????

Hey guys so I'm getting close to getting all my parts for my front mount turbo build on my 01' T/A. Its going to be a fully forged and stroke 383 with a 76mm turbo.

My question is which intercooler do you guys use? I am contemplating between two. A basic 1000 HP rated CX racing one you can get off ebay or the new Treadstone TR1245. Both rather for 1000 HP but one is obviously eBay and one is a much better quality. What do you guys think? Or what works well for you? I want one at least 1000 HP capable.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TBH the CX Racing will work fine.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was just worried about heat soak at the track I know while moving I should be okay. I also like the divider plate. Just trying to figure out which is best.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go for the treadstone personally because I've heard of some boost drop issues with the cx ones.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea looking at the specs the tread stone is 1.5 lbs at max cfm. Where as the CX is 2-5 lbs at 32 psi and .2-.5 at 15 psi. Plus I know quality is a factor as well as the way the core's fins are designed for cooling efficiency.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone else got any suggestions on intercoolers?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:29 AM
8 Second Club

Go with a Bell or at least a Bell core, verticle style with the end caps on top and bottom. The vertical flows better than the cross flow design.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by THADD
Go with a Bell or at least a Bell core, verticle style with the end caps on top and bottom. The vertical flows better than the cross flow design.
...And you know the core is going to be good at both cooling and air flow.

Having said that I have desinged the 'BEST' intercooler in the world with the lowest presure drop ever. also it will support approx 4000bhp at 35psi. its a stright piece of 5inch pipe 4 foot long! lol
Old 08-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Launching!

Im personally going with this one, its 4" thick and center inlet so that air distributes evenly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-31-x12-x4-Bar-Plate-Universal-Intercooler-3-Center-Inlet-Outlet-/390360922951?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae352fb47&vxp=mtr
Old 08-22-2013, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1 240sx
Im personally going with this one, its 4" thick and center inlet so that air distributes evenly
An inlet/outlet like that would NOT lead to even air distribution. The air would simply try to go down the middle of the core! The easiest way to get even air distribution is have the inlets at diagonals to each other.

A much better way is to actually shape the end tanks to give even airflow across the whole core. But you generally can't buy intercoolers off the shelf like that.

I think LG did a thread a couple of years ago about building a 1300rwhp air to air intercooler setup. Some nice ideas were used in that one, although I would have liked to have seen lower volume end tanks to enable a larger core.

If you want to see REALLY effective intercoolers look at the F1 cars of the 80's. Even back then they understood how airflow worke. The endtanks are tiny but will utilise the whole core. Same is true for top level motorsport today, but you generally don't get to see the intercoolers in ALMS type stuff as they are tucked into custom ram air ducts.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:15 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by chuntington101
An inlet/outlet like that would NOT lead to even air distribution. The air would simply try to go down the middle of the core! The easiest way to get even air distribution is have the inlets at diagonals to each other.

A much better way is to actually shape the end tanks to give even airflow across the whole core. But you generally can't buy intercoolers off the shelf like that.

I think LG did a thread a couple of years ago about building a 1300rwhp air to air intercooler setup. Some nice ideas were used in that one, although I would have liked to have seen lower volume end tanks to enable a larger core.

If you want to see REALLY effective intercoolers look at the F1 cars of the 80's. Even back then they understood how airflow worke. The endtanks are tiny but will utilise the whole core. Same is true for top level motorsport today, but you generally don't get to see the intercoolers in ALMS type stuff as they are tucked into custom ram air ducts.
Correct, that is what I was talking about with a verticle style intercooler. The end caps are on the top and bottom, not the sides. Typically you would go in at the bottom and come out the top of the opposite side, or vise versa. A vertical also has more than double the air flow passages then a normal crossflow.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How would a vertical style intercooler fit behind the bumper? Does anyone have pictures of this. I think it would be slightly tight to fit all that behind the bumper.

Quick Reply: Intercooler choice????