Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know what this wire is for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone know what this wire is for?

The LS2 I bought had a complete harness...EXCEPT for these two ends that were cut. Judging from where they are on the harness, I assumed one was for the MAF.

The other one near it...no idea what it's for. Does anyone know? LS2 is from a 2005 GTO.

Here are the wire colors at each of the missing pigtails:

-----
Green
Green
Pink with Blue Stripe
Black with Red stripe
Red
-----
-----
Brown with Yellow stripe
Pink
Brown
Black with Red Stripe
Brown with White stripe
-----
Old 08-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A link that has a lot of wiring information listed for 2005-06 GTO.

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...ng-Information

Last edited by fox12303; 08-25-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, did you get J1 for the ECM? It is part of the Body harness and is usually missing from the harness. We usually have to provide this when rewiring a LS2 GTO Harness. Here are what your connectors are.

This is the Fuse block connector.
-----
Green
Green
Pink with Blue Stripe
Black with Red stripe
Red
-----
-----
This is the 5 wire LS2 MAF Connector

Brown with Yellow stripe
Pink
Brown
Black with Red Stripe
Brown with White stripe

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 08-25-2013, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BP Automotive
First off, did you get J1 for the ECM? It is part of the Body harness and is usually missing from the harness. We usually have to provide this when rewiring a LS2 GTO Harness. Here are what your connectors are.

This is the Fuse block connector.
-----
Green
Green
Pink with Blue Stripe
Black with Red stripe
Red
-----
-----
This is the 5 wire LS2 MAF Connector

Brown with Yellow stripe
Pink
Brown
Black with Red Stripe
Brown with White stripe

Thank you. The motor came with only 2 of the plugs into the ECM, however I bought a complete dash harness that came with the missing blue one (I think this is J1 but I mailed my computer away and don't have it here to look at the numbers)

The dash harness I have is complete. I have two fuse boxes. A long skinny one, and a more conventional squarish one. From the different wrappings on it, I can see that the smaller squarish one goes inside the car, and the longer one goes under the hood.

The long underhood fuse box has some connectors coming out of one side. One of them has 5 wires, all the right colors EXCEPT one:

-----
Green
Green
Pink with Blue Stripe
Black with White stripe <<<Should be Black with Red Stripe
Red
-----

Now, I don't know if the one I found is the correct connector to wire to the cut wire, but the wires are not identical. The dash harness is from a Manual car, and my engine is from a car with an auto...would that matter?
Old 08-25-2013, 06:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

If you are converting to stand alone you could use a much simpler fuse block, which is what I would recommend. This is because you are most likely not going to want to mount that fuse block where it was at the front of the engine on the GTO.

With having parts from cars with two different transmissions you will want to be very careful when modifying the harness to make sure that it is wired correctly for the transmission that you are using.

LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 08-25-2013, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

It's going to be wired by someone who knows a whole lot more than I do when it comes to electrical stuff. He is confident that he can do it, but I need to get all the necessary pigtails, etc before I can hand the car over to him. At this point purchasing a standalone harness would just cost more money than I want to spend...when I have just about everything I need already. Most of the dash harness will go unused, but I wanted the fuse box to run everything else in my interior...which is a lot of stuff.

Is the connector in the pictures the correct connector that plugs into the cut wire next to the MAF connector?
Old 08-25-2013, 08:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The black with red wire that is missing is the ground wire. So depending on the fuseblock, it may not work because that ground would be for the relays. It is really hard for me to say that it will work from what we have seen.

To answer your question, yes that is the mating connector to the missing connector on your engine harness.

sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 08-26-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

Anyone know where I can get the pigtail to put back on the cut harness?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by superdave84
Anyone know where I can get the pigtail to put back on the cut harness?
Would this be the one maybe?

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...spx?ItemId=537

T,
Old 08-26-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TomM
No that one is for the MAF. I just ordered that one from that site. I need the one that connects the engine harness to the fuse block (or something like that). Having a terrible time trying to find it.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

You are in luck, I found an old fuse block connector that I took off of a ls2 harness that I rewired recently. I was hoping to help you out with the maf connector and that way I could have just thrown it in the box with it.

For anyone else looking in the future, we sell needed pigtails also, and will have them up on the website very soon. There are already some on our ebay page.

sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 08-26-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BP Automotive
You are in luck, I found an old fuse block connector that I took off of a ls2 harness that I rewired recently. I was hoping to help you out with the maf connector and that way I could have just thrown it in the box with it.

For anyone else looking in the future, we sell needed pigtails also, and will have them up on the website very soon. There are already some on our ebay page.
I would have happily bought the MAF connector from you if I didn't already buy one. Would you be willing to sell me the other connector?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, now I have another problem....the pigtail for the MAF arrived today. It clips into the MAF I bought perfectly. However, the wire colors are not the same as what is in the engine harness.

Colors in the PIGTAIL are:

-----
Purple
Tan
Black with White Stripe
Pink
Yellow
-----

Colors in the HARNESS are:

-----
Brown with Yellow stripe
Pink
Brown
Black with Red Stripe
Brown with White stripe
-----

What do I do about this? Anyone?
Old 08-30-2013, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, now I have another problem....the pigtail for the MAF arrived today. It clips into the MAF I bought perfectly. However, the wire colors are not the same as what is in the engine harness.

Colors in the PIGTAIL are:

-----
Purple
Tan
Black with White Stripe
Pink
Yellow
-----

Colors in the HARNESS are:

-----
Brown with Yellow stripe
Pink
Brown
Black with Red Stripe
Brown with White stripe
-----

What do I do about this? Anyone?
Well, after like 10 hours of research, I think I have the solution. Every schematic I could find had different colors than what the GTO has. If anyone comes across this post in the future, the wires will have to be soldered like this. Harness color is first, pigtail color is to the right of it.

Brown/Yellow stripe >>> Purple
Brown >>> Tan
Black/Red stripe >>> Black/White stripe
Pink >>> Pink
Brown/White stripe >>> Yellow

I believe these colors are ONLY for GTOs, and possibly only model year 2005. I have yet to wire up the car and test it, but if it's wrong, I will come back and report it in this thread.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, after like 10 hours of research, I think I have the solution. Every schematic I could find had different colors than what the GTO has. If anyone comes across this post in the future, the wires will have to be soldered like this. Harness color is first, pigtail color is to the right of it.

Brown/Yellow stripe >>> Purple
Brown >>> Tan
Black/Red stripe >>> Black/White stripe
Pink >>> Pink
Brown/White stripe >>> Yellow

I believe these colors are ONLY for GTOs, and possibly only model year 2005. I have yet to wire up the car and test it, but if it's wrong, I will come back and report it in this thread.
I just looked at my 2006 GTO (M6) MAF harness colors and they match what you describe on your 2005 harness.

Tipsy
Old 10-26-2013, 03:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
I just looked at my 2006 GTO (M6) MAF harness colors and they match what you describe on your 2005 harness.

Tipsy
Great thanks. I have yet to fire the car, but I am hoping to soon. I hope I spliced the correct wires. If it turns out I did it wrong, I might ask you the order of the colors at the pigtail....if you don't mind.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Great thanks. I have yet to fire the car, but I am hoping to soon. I hope I spliced the correct wires. If it turns out I did it wrong, I might ask you the order of the colors at the pigtail....if you don't mind.
No worries. I don't have the MAF at the moment. I asked LKQ for it after I got the engine home. They said they have it for me...I just haven't gotten it from them yet.

Tipsy
Old 10-26-2013, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Isn't wiring "Fun"........LOL
Old 10-26-2013, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kwhizz
Isn't wiring "Fun"........LOL
Yeah I can't wait to get back to it....but I have to get a root canal and do my taxes first.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Mind if I make a slight hijack?

LS2/T56 from an 2006 GTO. I'm removing/tagging all of the harness connectors and there's one I'm having trouble identifying.

It's just on the engine side of the large rubber grommet; two wires Green and Black w/Red.

Thanks.

Tipsy

EDIT: I think I got it figured out. Looks likes it's for the horn.

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 10-26-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone know what this wire is for?