Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

McLeod TQ specs were wrong on directions!!! does anyone have a fix for this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default McLeod TQ specs were wrong on directions!!! does anyone have a fix for this?

so I was installing a RXT duel clutch on a 4.6 and the paperwork sayed to TQ the pressure plate nuts down to 65lb, as I started torqing them down I noticed it was pulling the studs out of the gold ring that bolts to the flywheel, I relized something wont right and did some research and found out they were suppose to be 35lb not 65, the directions were totally wrong, they even labeled the bolts as standered however standerd sockets did not fit them only metric did, so now I cannot TQ the pressure plate down to proper specs and I belive that if I install it this way the studs will push out when the clutch is disingaged.

Thoughts on this? is there a fix, now they wont even tq down to 35 they just spin and you can see that the stud has come out some since it is longer.

the owner who purchased the clutch is going to try to get up with mcloud when they reopen to figure this problem out.

we would be fine with another gold wring but i think we would then have to get it rebalanced with the pressure plate? I am not sure if these studs are press in or screw in but I have considered taking them out and retapping for some new ones but not sure if that would even work.

any thoughts or ideas would help here. and maybe hearing from mcloud also? we plan to call them but if there is a rep that checks this out over the weekend that would be great, and im not dissing the product its a bad *** clutch, but I dont understand why the directions were wrong.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

call Mcleod tech. Billy or Lee. email them pics. They should replace the part.

I have LT1 so not same clutch as you but:

I also found discrepanceys in McLeod instructions that came with my twin vs what was posted on their site. they have TQ for FW bolts less than stock and more for PP and on-line it says use NO lock tite and instructions with clutch said to use.

I emailed and "Lee" said the instructions that came with the clutch were wrong.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah there taking care of it, sending me a new gold plate to replace the other one. it was partly my fault I almost always research new parts I have never installed before, if I had of I would of relized it before I trqed them down

Quick Reply: McLeod TQ specs were wrong on directions!!! does anyone have a fix for this?