LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

i need help! electrical

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help! electrical

hello i need help with my 1995 camaro z28 someone told me when i did my optispark that i could wire my electric water pump to the pink hotwire that runs to the ignition coil so i did and when i got home i turned it off heard a click then i tried to turn it back on and i couldn't. not the fuel pump or starter would engage, i replaced the pcm after checking the fuses and etc and it still is happening. i checked all the fusable links and they are good but fuses not getting power are crank, ip dimmer, gauges, pcm ignition, airbag, 9, 10, 11, and 12 under the hood.. could someone help?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

You realize the ignition switch must be on to power those fuses, right? If the switch is on and you get no power, the switch is probably the issue.

Whoever told you to wire your EWP to a fuse gave bad advice. It should be run through a relay. Not sure why you would replace the PCM when you had power issues. PCMs very rarely go bad.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreeing with shbox. Unless something crazy happened the PCM should be fine. But yes the water pump should basically have its own circuit operating off of a relay that runs off of the ignition switch. I'm sure you have blown the fuse for the coil after running that much current on it. But I'm gonna guess that the ignition switch on the steering column has gone bad or your fuseable link is toast. Those links can be hard to diagnosis, as they tend to look fine. At least that's what mine did.

Quick Reply: i need help! electrical