Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

I'm a dumba$$....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm a dumba$$....

First of all I am 31 yrs Old and I have had insurance since I was 18.
Never filed a Claim and haven't had a ticket in over 10yrs.

Ok, here is what I did:
This morning I woke up late, already a bad start.
Wife is rushing to cook me breakfast, I rush out the door. Got in my car to start it (as I ALWAYs do) then I go check the mail box for mail (I work 2nd shift).
Well, since i was running late. I go turn the car on with my right foot in the clutch and I go to get out of it to check the Damn mail. I forgot to take it out of 1st gear and as soon as i get out of the clutch (well you know what happens) Car jumps forward hitting my tool boxes and cracking the front bumper.
This is my new baby (07 thunder gray CTS-V) and this happens to me.

Never will this happen again.....Lesson learned.
I have an appointment on Monday with Insurance and they will tell me what the damage is.
My deductable is 500 and I wonder if its even worth using a Claim for this as i know the damn insurance will go up on my next renewal.
FML....Has it happen to anyone else???
Old 09-05-2013, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wait till you go to pull the hood release via drivers side window and it rolls backwards
Old 09-05-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another tip: NEVER move a manual car with one foot hanging out of the driver's door.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Heavymetals did you hit anything when it rolled? That socks...
Old 09-05-2013, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Oh man that sucks to hear. I have skated w minor dmg on a cpl occasions....
First was in 98 Dakota w 4/6 drop. I had my driver door open and was backing up to something(been almost 10 years, details r fuzzy) and my driver door caught on the ground and hyperextended it causing it to not function properly.
Second close call was in my 94 cobra. Rolled up all cool w taco casa for the crew and didn't put in gear completely(t-5, broken e brake cable). Driveway was on a slight decline and had a carport so I had the supports to contend w. Got lucky and no traffic was coming, but I followed beside the car as it rolled, popped open the door and slid in all in one move and slammed the brakes. I was shitting myself to say the least. It all took place in less than 7 seconds but felt like eternity. The e brake cable was replaced w/in the next wk so as to avoid this happening again.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any damage to the headlights? If so there goes that $500 deductible to replace one lol.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

I hit a raccoon and damaged the bumper pretty bad. The lower mesh is now on the outside of the chrome insert and paint was cracked in every corner from the flex of hitting it. $1100 worth of damage. If the mesh is messed up at all there's your deductible too more than likely. Good body work isn't very cheap these days labor wise either. And if I recall correctly thunder gray is a pricey paint.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

No damage to the headlights. It hit right smack in the middle of the bumper. The weird part is, where it hit there was little damage but on the passenger side where the bumper starts to curve it cracked. I will post pics tomorrow.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by budracing
another tip: Never move a manual car with one foot hanging out of the driver's door.
ruined my front bumper this way, lol
Old 09-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Launching!

I seriously doubt your insurance will go up, I think that is a myth or something that people think that if you have a claim that it will.

Was the parking break not on?
Old 09-06-2013, 01:48 AM
Launching!

The 2 things that have happened to my car were caused by other people...kinda have bad luck.

Driving on the highway going 80, I have a car behind me and one on the right. The truck ahead of me had a damn bleach bucket in the bed "you know the big white ones?" well that happened to fly out of his truck right in front of my path. I couldn't stop or get over, so I hit it dead on and it gets stuck under the lip of the car. It cracked/dented the lip, nothing too serious, but to me this stuck out like a sore thumb. I decided not to get it fix at the time so I rolled with it like that for a few months and that is when the second thing happened.
I was back home in AZ stopped at a light and once it turned green I started to go. Before I crossed the damn intersection I hear a loud ping noise hit my car...thought it was a rock at first, but I pulled over to check it out. Some dumbass shot the side of my car with a BB/Pelet gun while they passed me on the other side of traffic. After that incident I called my insurance company and got the lip and pelet dent fixed...money out of my pocket unfortunately due to other people being stupid.
Attached Thumbnails I'm a dumba$$....-shot.jpg  
Old 09-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Staging Lane

I feel your pain...always remember to set your parking brake too. My 02 F250 was sitting in front of my house at about 6am one morning as I went back inside to get a rain jacket and change of clothes to take to work, shut the truck off, raced inside. I thought the truck was fully in gear. Got into my room and heard a crash come from the woods next to my neighbors house. Walked back into my hallway that looked straight out at the bay window to my front yard....no trucky truck. It rolled about 150 yards down the street, careened right and slid perfectly between two trees pin striping both sides and a stump stopped it on the front bumper.

Ended up doing an 05+ front end and mirror conversion on the truck though since I knew the body shop it went to lol.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Usually your claim has to be your fault and over a certain dollar amount to raise your premium. Whether you have accident forgiveness matters too. It depends on your specific company and policy. You could get your own estimate done and see how much it would cost out of pocket before putting a claim in.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Parking brake want not on. I'm still not used to it being on the bottom like a truck. Lol. I always leave it in gear.
I will be getting an estimate on the side to see what it will cost.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comprehensive won't raise your premiums in my experience - deer, road debris, etc.

But this is collision. Our policy (Farmers) gives you one freebie (don't know if it's one-per-time-period or just one, ever)
Old 09-06-2013, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SStriker
Heavymetals did you hit anything when it rolled? That socks...
Caught it in time.

Needed a cardiac assist after that one.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

one time i was leaving for work (night shift) and the delivery woman wanted a signature, so before i started the car up i took it out of gear and had the hand brake off as i was about to go to work but she stopped me and i was like ok ill sign for it and then went to step out of the car and the driveway was on an incline and it started rolling but thank god i jumped back in and hit the brakes. but there was a mili second where i was like like WTF DO I DO **** **** **** ****. haha luckily nothing happened other than a near heart attack
Old 09-06-2013, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Many years ago, before the V...I was fast asleep about 3am when I got a phone call. "Sir, this is the Baltimore Police Department. Your car has been involved in an accident." My first thought was, oh ****, what have I done? Then I went outside and found that a drunk driver had T-boned car, which was parallel parked on the street. He didn't touch anything else, but my car was damn near totaled-- front diff, both wheels, suspension, brakes, both doors, front and rear quarter panels, even bent the roof a little.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

Old 09-06-2013, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

Not sure how the one bellow the headlight happened. There was nothing there to hit. Looks like the paint came off of it. What do you guys think the repair will cost?
I'm guessing the whole bumper has to be re painted.

Quick Reply: I'm a dumba$$....