Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Engine -> Not so instant start

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS1 Engine -> Not so instant start

I have a 2004 Corvette LS1 in a 56 Chevy. Put it in in 2005. Has just under 25,000 miles on it. It is drive by wire.

For a while now, I find I have to crank it over for maybe 10 seconds before it starts. This is of course after it has been shut off for a period of time. But that period can be relatively short, maybe just an hour. I'd swear it was pretty close to instant start when I first put it in the car. Makes me feel like it's carbureted and needs the foot pedal pumped.

All I have done to it is change oil. I was not expecting any tuning to be needed at this mileage.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-15-2013, 05:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your fuel pressure leak down over time, toss a gauge on it and see if it will hold pressure when the vehicle is off.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000PewterT/A
Does your fuel pressure leak down over time, toss a gauge on it and see if it will hold pressure when the vehicle is off.
Try turning on the ignition for 10 seconds and then turning the motor over. If it starts right off it is probably a fuel pump bleeding back pressure.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I had tried that in the past, and it didn't help. But,just now turned on ign, and waited for probably 15 seconds, and it started right up. I'll try it again like that after the car has set for a few days.

Any thoughts on if that is indicative of a problem that should be fixed? It does seem to me that it would be likely that fuel pressure would bleed off over time, although I'm not sure how long that should be expected to take.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Would still look at fuel pressure.. as said, get a gauge on the fuel rail side of the system.

By just turning the key to the run, the pump should prime... but if weak pump pressure, or a bad regulator / filter.. it may take as few second to build enough pressure.. and then after a few more seconds you got to start, I then has enough pressure to successfully start.

I just has an issue with my chevelle... I switched fuel rails, it was OK at first.. but a few days or a week later, it was taking a bit longer or cracking before it would start...It got worse over the next few days. I finally checked the pressure gauge and saw the pressure after turning the engine off, found the pressure dropped very quickly (not right away) ' the pressure should start for a while.. so I figured I had a leak some where... and I found one at the coonector of the rail.. fixed the leak and no more slow start up now...

So, check the pressure and for leaks..

BC

Quick Reply: LS1 Engine -> Not so instant start