Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheel & Time Amateur Question!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel & Time Amateur Question!

Hi guys, I bought my Firebird (1998) about 2 months ago. I'm wanting to get a nice new set of wheels for it. I am loving these Corvette style rims I seen on oewheels.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...2#.UjokRMasiSp

Now, I am very new to doing things with cars so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I am posting this here to get a straight forward answer.

I am wanting to get my tires separately from oewheels for pricing and brand. Now, the thing I have trouble with is knowing what kind of tire will fit the wheel and the car. I don't want to do any sort of fender rolling/trimming, and I don't want it to rub! The sort of tire I was told by OEWheels that would be good would be a 245/40/17, but I don't really know what these numbers mean. Also, the wheels are 17".

Basically, I want to know if these rims will fit that type of tire (or if there is one better). And if it will be a good fit.

Again, any help will be appreciated. I hope I posted this in the right spot, I figure you guys will be the best help!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

245 is the section width, not counting any raised lettering or side wall rim protector
40 is the aspect ration, meaning that the side wall height is 40% of the width
17 is obviously the rim diameter....

you definitely will not rub. The only time that modification is almost a must is running 315/35/17s and larger or 295/35/18 and larger. that usually includes BFH, possible fender rolling, bump stop cutting.

personally I would try to find a 17x9 or 17x9.5 and run a 275/40/17 a pretty decent selection of tires in that size and you get added traction and handling.

It also depends on your driving style and needs. if its just a daily driver and cruise car you won't need that wide of tires. and you would be fine with 245/40/17s.... just my $0.02
Old 09-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the great reply man! This is my first car so I'm just trying to make sure I get everything right and understand it.

Yeah it's just a daily driving car for me. If you don't mind I have one more question. If I go with a tire like these. Do you think they would be a good choice to go with the wheels?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it depends on your year round climate... I live in an area where I get snow for 4 months and the rest of the time its pretty nice weather. If you get snow I would keep your stock 16s and put some winter tires on there and I haven't ever had falken tires personally but heard decent reviews on them for summer driving.
Nexen N3000 are good tires as well. Also I would run a 245/45/17 instead of 245/40/17, you'll get a taller sidewall and a bit softer more comfortable ride. You should be able to find a N3000s at most tire places except tirerack

Are you looking for a budget tire or a decent tire worth spending some extra money on?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Here is a good site that I used to figure out what tire size meant

http://www.thetirechoice.com/learnin...tire-size.aspx

I have 18" C5 Corvette Z06 rims on my car. The size of the tires are front: 275 35 18 and rear: 275 45 18. I do not have any problems with there rubbing on the front or the rear. I ended up having to replace the two front tires recently and they were around $220 a piece. Price is one of the major downsides to going with a wider tire.

Since you plan to daily drive the car, it would probably be cost effective to go with a 245 45 17 like DemonicZ said. The cost will be much easier on the wallet because they aren't as wide and they are much more common.

Quick Reply: Wheel & Time Amateur Question!