Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1 clutch problems w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 clutch problems w/pics

Can you guys take a look at these pics and tell if anything looks like its damaged? This is a Ram replacement HD clutch set I installed about 4 years ago and never got to work because of 1) bad trans which was locked into gear ad 2) incorrect Pressure Plate bolts which did not have enough unthreaded shoulder. Regarding the bolts I can see where the threads left some marks in the PP hole on several of them since its softer Alum. I got the right bolts and when inserting those I don't feel any resistance and wonder if its ok however I also look at the central fingers on the PP and wonder if they were not supposed to be flat when unbolted or is that just what happens when they are tightened on correctly?
Attached Thumbnails LT1 clutch problems w/pics-pressure-plate.jpg   LT1 clutch problems w/pics-img_0309.jpg   LT1 clutch problems w/pics-clutch-disk.jpg   LT1 clutch problems w/pics-pp-fingers.jpg   LT1 clutch problems w/pics-pp-threads.jpg  

Old 09-20-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

clutch looks ok. you could hone out the PP holes "carefully" with a smaller diameter rod with some emery cloth wraped around it to take any of the edges of the areas where the old bolts left witness marks. you don't really want to remove any material, just knock down the edges where the threads from old bolts gauged them. Your new, correct, bolts should be fine if they all slide in easily.

PP fingers do flaten out when you TQ down the PP, they look normal in your pic

the organic side of your disc goes towards FW/engine
Old 09-20-2013, 02:40 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Your PP looks fine; if the top of the holes in it aren't scarred and you have the right bolts, it will index fine. PP bolts to 22lb-ft this time and your clutch might work.

Quick Reply: LT1 clutch problems w/pics