Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Safe to drive to a muffler shop?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Safe to drive to a muffler shop?

Hey all. Long time lurker, first-time poster here.

Installed my Kooks headers and Hi Flow cats over the course of the past few days on my '04 V. According to the sales guy, it was supposed to be a "bolt on" installation, and for the most part it was...everything went smoothly until it came time to reattach my exhaust system to the new cats which found themselves about a foot further down the chain than the stock ones.

So long story short, the sales rep now said you had to cut your stock exhaust (In this case, my Borla cat back, which matches the stock shape) in order to slip the pipes into the cats. So now, of course, the angle of the pipes are not matching up to the cats and the X-pipe together. Worked all day today trying to get something to work and I'm at the point where frustration has claimed victory.

So my question is this: If the cats are secure, all o2 sensors are connected, and I'm able to attach/clamp the first section of the cat back exhaust piping to the cats, would I risk damaging anything by driving it over to a muffler shop 10 minutes from my house? (Pipe would end right around where the stock exhaust X-pipe would be.)

I'm about ready to let them deal with it. They'd just have to fab up the pipe that was modified (i'm guessing improperly. Whoops.)

Any thoughts/input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could drive your car like that forever and it wouldn't mind it would just **** off your neighbors.

Find a good hole in the wall exhaust shop they will probably fix that up for about $150 or less. It will be no problem for them so don't have any worries.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

yea man no problem at all.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VIDEO THAT BITCH. I bet is sounds sexy as hell with basically open headers lol. Give us a few WOT pulls at least
Old 09-21-2013, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely video it, yes. If you haven't heard a V8 just headers before brace yourself it's amazing.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
VIDEO THAT BITCH. I bet is sounds sexy as hell with basically open headers lol. Give us a few WOT pulls at least
Yes, totally! Make sure you have a "chase" car, too! lol

When I did the header on my Miata, right after I got done installing it, I decided it was time for a lunch break, so I drove it up the street to a Panera bread, maybe a mile or two away.

Thing was SOOOOO loud, people IN FRONT of me were pulling off the side of the road to let me go by LOL

Sooooo awesome, you GOTTA try it!
Old 09-21-2013, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Ooo ummm ive head open headers for about 7 months now. Damn shitty shopes by me wont touch the stainless
Old 09-23-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Here's one in the parking lot when I put my longtubes in...

Old 09-23-2013, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, it will sound like your driving around in a NASCAR... It will sound sooooo sick!!! do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it !
Old 09-23-2013, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds awesome, get that video!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Teching In

I drove to the muffler shop like that and it melted he heat sheilds up and around the tranny. when I swap the clutch I plan on replacing the shields..

Quick Reply: Safe to drive to a muffler shop?