Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to ls1 tech. Swapping E30 BMW to 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to ls1 tech. Swapping E30 BMW to 5.3

Hey guys, I'm new to ls1 tech.. I do have a couple of questions. Like it states above, I'm a couple days away from tearing apart my 84 two door e30 BMW to put a 5.3 in.. I'm really wanting to put a cam in it. Also have to use ls1 intake to clear hood... But my questions are what cam to run? The cam I really want to run is a MS3 with .650 springs. That's really what I'm wanting if I can even run that cam in a 5.3?? My buddy was trying to talk me into running a Vindicator cam. Which I know is way to big for what I want... The motor will be stock other than cam and intake... So guys I need some opinions on cams, and rather or not to run the MS3 the cam I really want. Thanks guys!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have any input on the cams, however if you're going to go to the trouble of a cam swap, you might want to consider an intake upgrade from the LS1. It works and all, but it's the poorest performing intake of the bunch. I think it's even a step down from the big ugly truck intake in torque.

I'm not the most educated on intakes, as I am just using a stock intake that came on my LS2, but I think the LS6 intake performs much better. You could probably also use the LS6 cam in your 5.3
Old 09-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Teching In

What are you using the e30 for? That 5.3 is going to be a boat anchor up front! Make sure to compensate with stiffer spring rate, better shocks, and MUCH better brakes!
Old 09-26-2013, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by e30polak
What are you using the e30 for? That 5.3 is going to be a boat anchor up front! Make sure to compensate with stiffer spring rate, better shocks, and MUCH better brakes!

the thing comes with an iron block inline 6, whatchu talkin bout?

weight will be farther back in general, and engine has a lower center of gravity.

win win.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by e30polak
The car is just a junk yard play toy, slide around a couple of times, not a race car nor a drift car. But yes was going to up grade a lot of stuff thanks for the input
Old 09-26-2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by superdave84
I don't have any input on the cams, however if you're going to go to the trouble of a cam swap, you might want to consider an intake upgrade from the LS1. It works and all, but it's the poorest performing intake of the bunch. I think it's even a step down from the big ugly truck intake in torque.

I'm not the most educated on intakes, as I am just using a stock intake that came on my LS2, but I think the LS6 intake performs much better. You could probably also use the LS6 cam in your 5.3
I understand man, yeah I've got a couple buddies that are ls guys. But if I can find a good deal on a ls6 intake I will go with it. Buy I need some style ls intake to be able to close the hood

Quick Reply: New to ls1 tech. Swapping E30 BMW to 5.3