Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag Project - LS1 Altered

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 03:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag Project - LS1 Altered

I have copied and pasted this from another site, but will update here as well from now on.

So here it is...

125" chrome molly Mark Williams chassis 23T
9" sheetmetal diff housing
Strange bolt through carrier
35 spline Strange spool
35 spline Romac axles
Strange carbon brakes and calipers (4 wheel)
Willwood master cylinder
DJ Safety 5pt harness
Stroud parachute
Custom alloy radiator, thermo fan
B&M Pro Bandit shifter with electric solenoid
Spritzer carbon wing and scoop
Sheehan Nose Cone
Fiberglass body

I will be using the motor which I had built for the previous project, but will be making some changes as the motor will be run naturally aspirated for awhile (more details to come later..)

Transmission is a Powerglide built by Protrans, SFI rated casing etc, with a transbrake. Converter is the 4200 built by TCE that I was using in the previous project as well.

I will race this in A/MA trim (Modified) bracket. This is group 3, dial your own racing, so consistency is key. I will be retaining the stock GM ECU - obviously retuned, however this combination should prove to be extremely consistent, reliable and mostly maintenance free.

And lastly, have been busy over the last few nights getting an old LS1 block and the powerglide into the chassis for mock up purposes, so I can get the front engine mounts made up to suit.

New motor specs, afew things have been changed due to running naturally aspirated:

5.7ltr LS1
Mahle pistons
Eagle rods
Stock crank
238 242 @ 108lsa custom grind cam
Lunati Dual Valve Springs
Morel "Street" Tie Bar Lifters
ARP Head Studs
ARP Main Studs
SLP High Volume Oil Pump
Double Row timing chain
Edelbrock Super Victor Manifold
Edelbrock "Competition" 4-Barrel Throttle Body

Heads will be a set of "241" castings which have been CNC'd - I am waiting until we get the cam in the motor to check PTV clearance, and then heads will be decked accordingly.

Compression with 0.40" decked will be 11.05 : 1

With 0.60" decked will be 12:1

I really hope I can deck 0.60" to get higher compression, and in turn run "E85" (race fuel - really E95) and get better results. Time will tell I guess.
I have done some small things not really picture worthy, mounted the delay box, finished removing unnecessary things from the LS1 loom.

Alot of the parts I had to order have turned up, so I figured this was at least worth a photo, just mocked up:

Cam has turned up, so this weekend I will be pulling the heads / cam / lifters / pushrod from the engine, installing the new cam and then checking piston to valve (PTV) clearance. From here I will be able to make a decision on how much the heads can be decked. Then once the heads are back, I can measure how long the pushrods need to be.

Also been working on the front motor mounts, just have them sketched on a piece of paper for now, which I will take into the local aluminum fabrication shop who will cut them out via laser for me. Also going to be putting a nice rebate in the back of the plate so it will fit the stock LS1 water pump gaskets in nice and flush. To give you guys an idea of what the plates look like, here is a similar picture borrowed from another forum:

Front engine plates being made up:

Not much else going on, awaiting more parts to turn up - specifically the heads at the moment, so I can check for PTV clearance and then send them off to be milled.
Just done some little small things lately..

1. Design new parachute handle that is abit longer, old one had literally 1cm clearance above my leg. Not my idea of fun at the end of the track, so a longer one was in need! Just a template obviously, new one being CNC'd out of aluminum.

2. Swapped switches on the dash from the left to right side - all the important ones are now on the right side, which allows me if necessary to cut the fuel & ignition, and hit the parachute with one hand as everything is now on the right hand side. Previously I would have needed to hit the chute, then grab the wheel, then hit the switches with my other hand. Just a little thing that could be handy.

3. Mounted, and wired up the delay box and started to make some headway into identifying what wiring I need, what I need to relocate etc. For those who do not know a delay box is, I stole this:

Well, in its purest form it is an electronic control device that delays the release of your trans-brake by a pre-determined amount of time. Your trans-brake button is wired to the delay box and a wire then runs from the delay box to your trans-brake solenoid. When you release your trans-brake button, the delay box counts down the required time and then releases the trans-brake.

The purpose; cut better lights, out-react your opponent and win more rounds.
Some people don't like them as they consider them "cheating" - but at the end of the day, you still have to react to a light, you can red light or have a horrid reaction just like releasing on the bottom bulb.

That wiring box mounts on top of the gearbox. Room to mount things is kind of limited in this sort of "car"

4. Lastly just some more engine ****. My CNC'd heads turned up today, so some real action should start happening soon!

Have been working on plumbing up the race car this weekend. Did as much as we can until a decision is made on the sump. All SpeedFlow gear of course.

Got the CNC'd front engine plates back, and installed them tonight. Forgot to take a pre-install photo showing the rebate CNC'd at the block side of them for the gasket for water. Will try and remember to get one when I pull it apart for final assembly (still got the mock up engine in it)

Latest update is I am *STILL* checking engine clearances.

PTV came up really big, like 0.350" of clearance +

This is probably just due to the pistons having 4cc of valve relief in them, but I just want to be really sure before I go and get the heads milled.

This has meant going back to step 1, checking if the cam is degreed correctly, checking pushrod length and then checking PTV clearance again.

Just waiting for a pushrod length checker at the moment.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

PTV clearance all sorted, bucket loads so once the machine shop opens up the heads are off to have 0.60" shaved.

Engine is at a friends place to be final assembled (he has abit more experience & tools then me)

I had some help from another friend, and the wiring harness is 95% now complete, the LS1 harness is integrated into the harness for the race car. Just afew plugs etc to finish it off 100%

The sump is at a fabrication shop getting cut up to shorten it, and then lengthen to make up for the loss in volume where it has been shortened.

Saddle mounts (for the front engine mounting) turned up and as of this morning are installed. Hopefully it can go in for headers to be made if the exhaust shop has time next week.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Exhaust shop can't fit me in until the 13th Jan

Local track has it's season opener on 1st Feburary, I was hoping to license the car then but I don't think it will happen now!

Heads are off to the machine shop on Monday when they re-open.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice build...

Can't wait to see what it runs.

I have so been wanting to build a turbo ls powered Altered to run against a buddy with big inch alcohol BBC altered...

I know I could run the same numbers for about half of what he has in his.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

Was preparing the car today to go in for the headers on Monday morning, just tidying everything up and getting it to a state where it can roll around again.

In doing so I decided to service the transmission. This is a Powerglide with 3-4 1/4 passes on it since a $7k ($AUD) build cost (all new parts) price did not include the SFI one piece case either.

Drained the oil, and found in the oil pan some metal shavings and a needle from a roller bearing. FML

I checked the tail housing and it is not the roller bearings there, so no doubt it is from the planetary's

Not a good start, but glad I found it now and not later on. Downside to buying used parts I guess (got it with the car)

So once the headers are done I will get it packaged up and set off to my transmission guy and see what he finds
Old 01-11-2014, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bad *** build.....good luck and keep the updates coming. I want to put together a Lsx powered dragster in the next year or so. Seein this really motivates me
Old 01-12-2014, 04:33 AM
Staging Lane

Off to get headers done tomorrow, standing on it's own feet

Old 01-12-2014, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool!!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:21 AM
Staging Lane

Custom headers are done, pictures sent through from the shop today - pick it up tomorrow.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:52 AM
Staging Lane

Checked the rest of the clearances on my engine yesterday:

mains clearances
con rod clearances
con rod side clearances
crank end float
cam end float

All within spec, which is always a bonus! :p

Next step is to bolt the heads up which have been decked 60 thou and make sure the manifold fits still (may need to get manifold machined to suit.. may not!)

So since the pipes are complete, tonight the mock engine came out, along with the trans to go off on Monday for a service.

All ready for the real engine to come home!!

Old 01-17-2014, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome project!

Doug
Old 01-17-2014, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Very nice project. This baby should fly.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:40 PM
Teching In

whats this thing gonna weigh?
Old 01-17-2014, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Should be somewhere around 1600-1700lb
Old 01-18-2014, 07:38 PM
9 Second Club

Awesome! Always wanted to build a big inch injected LS dragster...
Old 03-02-2014, 03:47 AM
Staging Lane

Project has still been ticking over.

Powerglide went off to the guru's and looks like that the previous owner has had a converter failure and this has sent shrapnel through the box. The gear set was pretty badly chewed up, but somehow the carrier, pump and everything else was still in as new condition. A gear set had to be ordered in from the states (I live in Australia) this came in last week, so am expecting a phone call within the next few days to say the gearbox is ready to go!

In the meantime, after finally completing all clearances and being happy with them I have stripped the engine down once more, cleaned until me heart was content, and have started final assembly.

Some photos of the strip down prior to any cleaning.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Should be a fast ride, love that style of altered, nice and long and should be fun to get down the track.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Main studs installed, and here I am starting work on the head studs. Loctite on the threads, then install a spacer and then torque them down so the loctite can set. Repeat x lots

Old 03-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Bottom end is all together (crank, pistons & rods, cam etc) Oil pump, timing cover, rear cover, windage tray, oil pickup.

Then things got interesting, the sump was modified by a friend who is a fabricator, it had to be shortened - and then "wings" added for oil capacity, however he forgot to weld back in the sump plug

I also went to install valve springs, and the fancy tool I paid ~$130 for cannot handle the spring pressure, so I'll sell it off and just take them into local machine shop who quoted me $80.

Currently also awaiting for custom length pushrods to turn up. So hopefully next weekend, fingers crossed engine will be ready to roll!

Old 03-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Does anyone even read my thread?

Heads are back from the machine shop, top end will go together tomorrow night!

Quick Reply: Drag Project - LS1 Altered