Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intercooler or not

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler or not

I've been starting my new turbp build on my 69 nova and kinda run into a problem. There's just not a lot of room up in front of the radiator for a intercooler . Especially with a stock hood latch. Does anybody know what the difference in my iat's will be. I've run a few blow thru carbs without intercoolers . But i'm thinking I might try non intercooled on this car what do ya think? Setup will be 6.0 with s480 my old Fairmont setup.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Question

Originally Posted by Twin turbo c5
I've been starting my new turbp build on my 69 nova and kinda run into a problem. There's just not a lot of room up in front of the radiator for a intercooler . Especially with a stock hood latch. Does anybody know what the difference in my iat's will be. I've run a few blow thru carbs without intercoolers . But i'm thinking I might try non intercooled on this car what do ya think? Setup will be 6.0 with s480 my old Fairmont setup.
Really depends on fuel and hp goals ... what are you thinking?
Old 10-31-2013, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BMF_Racing
Really depends on fuel and hp goals ... what are you thinking?
93 octane. This will be a driven alot hopefully used In drag week. 700rwhp is what I would like to see or more. I made more with intercooled turbo cars but never tried it with no cooler.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been seeing quite a few non-intercooled high horsepower builds lately. Most have been running e85, but I don't see why you couldn't do it with 93 octane and meth.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Theres room, just have to do some cutting. Personally I wouldnt want an EFI setup without a cooler even on E85.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I've talked to a few guys that have ran without a cooler and they said there iat's where sky high with a efi setup.. I think if I take my stock hood latch off I might be able to fit the intercooler off my Fairmont. There's not much room and I didn't want to take the latch off but looks like im gonna have too.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine has the hood latch and intercoooled. Cant use the cheapy Ebay unit but it can work.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Mine has the hood latch and intercoooled. Cant use the cheapy Ebay unit but it can work.
I have a intercooler from race parts solutions there 4 core cooler. The only reason I said take the latch off is I'd like to get the cooler up high to get it in the grille so it'll do some good. How high does yours sit ls1 nova??

Quick Reply: Intercooler or not