Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Problem fixed version 3.0...VIDS and RESULTS are in!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Problem fixed version 3.0...VIDS and RESULTS are in!!

Ok guys, Im headed out in a couple hours to make a few passes with the Camaro. Im hoping for good things as the car is running really good (knock on wood, LOL) and the conditions are really good down this way today. Highs in the mid 60*. I checked the KPA on the hand held this morning and with the engine off, it read 101 KPA which for those that don't know what that means (like I was 3 weeks ago, LOL) the atmosphere is perfect for making HP. Around here it usually sits at around 99KPA. Its basically sea level air quality at my 500ft elevation today. Hopefully the track will be prepped good. Im cheating just a little this time, I disconnected the front sway bar so it will rotate a little better out of the hole.
Wish me luck!! I will post up the results when I get home.

Last edited by newschool72; 11-09-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2013, 10:33 AM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm jealous, I woke up to snow on the ground....
anyway good luck
Old 11-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Luck! Hoping for 11's this time man!
Old 11-09-2013, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default UHHH!!! Busted traction!.....BUT........

I got my 11s anyway! I made 2 passes. The first was a busted traction 1.959 60 ft, but the car buzzed to 7K in first and second and did a 11.777 at 117.89! WOOOHOOO!!!!
I waited about 15 minutes and tried again, this time I put a little more heat in the tires. Still spun bad and had to get out of it, but I feathered the throttle to a 1.876 60ft and did an 11.65 at 118.22 !!
Man, you just got to love these LS engines! This car is mild enough to cruise up hill at 1750rpms at 55mph, without lugging the engine, but still spin to 7K ! Im a believer in the concept of LS3 heads, GMPP dual plane, and a tight LSA, short duration cam for having your cake and eating it too. A tiny 220* at .050 AND 7000rpms ? 1750 rpm easy cruising AND 118+mph trap speeds? This thing has 11.00 to 10.90 potential AND 20+MPG ?
Im not trying to brag at all, guys. Im just blown away at how good this combo works for something you can drive anywhere, anytime and gety good economy to boot. Thanks to all you that have helped me out along the way on this build. I really appreciate it !
Here are the time slips and a couple vids. Im sorry about the vids not being too clear. We tried to set my son up so he could see the starting line and the time . Cant see either very good.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Old School Heavy

That bad boy has some excellent MPH. Great job!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Tigg! I wish I knew which thing I did to it ,to make it rev so good now. It would nose straight over at 6200 the last time out. I freed the air coming in, the exhaust going out , drilled a few more holes in my home made fuel bucket in the tank, and changed to a different spark plug. Somewhere in all that stuff I picked up 6 MPH and can spin to 7K without any noticeable drop off. Im just glad its running like I wanted it to now.
You guys on this forum caused me to believe this setup was capable of power like I have now. When I started this project, I didn't even come on any forums for advise or help. I joined LS1Tech to move some left over parts ! I fully expected a mid 12 sec car at best, with the other requirements I had for this build. Good vacuum for big brakes, idle and part throttle that my wife could get in and drive anywhere, low rpm cruise friendly for long trips and AC, PS, PB. I would never have thought a setup this mild would be capable of performing as good as my rip snorting, bucking, tempermental 68 Camaro with a built 406SBC ! These engines are just amazing, period !
Old 11-09-2013, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats pretty good rpm. My dyno showed the power starting to peak at 6800 with a 234/250 112+4 cam 6.0 and ls3 heads. Where does your power start to fall off?
Old 11-09-2013, 05:12 PM
6D9
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Goid job! She runs great! I'm going to do a Fast efi 2.0 on my BBC down the road.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im running a tiny 220-230 at .050 cam on a 108+4, and although I haven't dynode the combo, I cant feel ANY seat of the pants drop off all the way to the limiter at 7K. Im sure it starts to lay over around 6500, but not by much. Ive driven with my ear for years and can tell when an engine is done, but this setup catches me by surprise every time when it hits the limiter. My last trip to the track, the engine laid over bad at 6K and was all done by 6200. It just wouldn't rev higher and the drop off was real obvious at 6K.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6D9
Goid job! She runs great! I'm going to do a Fast efi 2.0 on my BBC down the road.
I wish they had the 2.0 about 3 yrs ago. I would be telling you how I like it now, LOL. Ive been happy with the first gen Fast EZ so far, and am really liking it more and more as I learn how to read the numbers the hand held is telling me. It allowed me to do my own R&D on the cookie cutter cold air pan, recently. There is no way I would have known I needed to free up the filter flow without the KPA readings it was showing me. The more I learn ,the more I like it.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I almost forgot to mention another neat tidbit about the drive ability of the car. my 15 yr old son drove it the 85 mile round trip to and from the track today. he thinks its easier to drive than my 04 Tundra Double cab or my wifes Nissan murano SUV ! He has about 20 hrs of total driving time in his life and had to drive "in the city" during the drive over there. That's drive ability at its best right there, LOL!
Old 11-09-2013, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 129 Likes on 116 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

NS, how are you getting these readings ? Something I may want to look at.
Congrats on the 11's Brother and when you doing the swap on the 68 ? LOL
Old 11-09-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doug G
NS, how are you getting these readings ? Something I may want to look at.
Congrats on the 11's Brother and when you doing the swap on the 68 ? LOL
The fast hand held has 4 screens with 4 different readings on each. Once I learned what they meant, I can now test different stuff and look for improvements.

As far as the 68 goes, Its in a holding pattern right now. Well, its actually sitting out in the yard with the tires getting low on air. I should get a slap across the Ol brow for letting it sit outside, but now that we are done with my sons little truck project and Im done with the 72 ( yea, right, LOL) Im going to clean it back up and get it back in the garage. The 406 has less than 500miles on it, so I will have to be pretty creative to talk momma rabbit into the LS heart transplant. I would love to stick one just like the LS3 in the 72 in there. With a couple hundred less LBS and the traction of those 325-50 mickeys, 10s would be like hitting water, falling out of a boat, LOL. Maybe after I get my back cut on and get moving good again I will figure out a way to get it done.
But for now Im high on how hard that 72 runs. Just imagine what a 1.5 60ft would do. HELP!!! I need another hot rod intervention ! My palms are sweating at the thought of a set of Moroso front springs and some 16" Mickey bias ETs. It never ends, LOL.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by newschool72
HELP!!! I need another hot rod intervention ! My palms are sweating at the thought of a set of Moroso front springs and some 16" Mickey bias ETs. It never ends, LOL.
You know it is funny you say that. I did not build my car to be a drag car either. Everything was around being a fun cruiser. But, the performance of the engine was so surprising that I ended up doing a lot of drag racing.

I just bought my first "drag only" part for my car. I ordered an anti-roll bar for the rear suspension because it twists so hard on the nitrous launches. I am so close to 9 seconds, I just have to take a stab at it.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedtigger
You know it is funny you say that. I did not build my car to be a drag car either. Everything was around being a fun cruiser. But, the performance of the engine was so surprising that I ended up doing a lot of drag racing.

I just bought my first "drag only" part for my car. I ordered an anti-roll bar for the rear suspension because it twists so hard on the nitrous launches. I am so close to 9 seconds, I just have to take a stab at it.
I don't blame you a bit for going after 9s. That car is a beast! Your car impresses me more than any on this forum, because you haven't sold out with a 4000 stall or 4.56 gears, all the interior is still there and over all the car looks like a 65 mid sized muscle car should, with all the trim and bits, and no weight reduction. Or if there is , you don't see it. Your cam profile is leaning towards more than I would want in a "cruiser", but I see where you went with that too. It just maximizes your combo. You have tested, intelligently , and not gone over board on anything in your combo.
I don't have a problem with a 4000 stall or deep gears, etc.....Its just that those things really take away from a cars "STREET" presents. I love a ***** out drag car as much as the next gear head, but your car is closer to where I went with the 72 build than any of the others on this forum. Bonus for the anti-roll bar, is the car will probably handle better on the street. All pluses !
My 72 is a big departure from what Ive built in the past . The bottom of the page was my place for cam selection as far as I can remember. This time straight line performance was in the middle of my list of "to do" . I wanted great all around performance. I don't like to have to leave an extra couple car lengths between me and the car in front of me, just because my car takes an extra 60 ft to stop in, and going around a tight turn is more fun than I thought it would be. Ive caught some flack from more than 1 member on here because I decided to use a dual plane with those big rectangular port heads and got very little respect for having a non sponsor grind a cam that didn't fit the norm around here of " max HP on the dyno!". I did a good bit of research on cam design for the rec ports and found a few things that seemed to work for some, but that not many have looked at. I think my mild little combo will hold its own against a lot of combos that would not be nearly as "street" friendly". It just flat out works! driving this thing around ,you would never have a clue as to how hard it runs. It is as docile as a 14 second ZZ4 63 Impala show queen. Drop the loud pedal, and it goes real hard. I needed great average power, stocker manners, and wife or 15 yr old kid , get in it and drive anywhere personality.
I think a lot of people have over looked just how good big rec ports can run with a mild setup. Don't get me wrong, a 5 second fox body is damn impressive and Id love to build something like that. Just not this time. But how about a 20+mpg cruiser that with a little suspension tweaking and sticky tires can get all around a low 11 sec pass, stop before I have a Prius hood ornament , and turn into a tight curve at twice the speed limit and actually come out the other side. That's what Im talken about!!! Well this time anyway, LOL.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations! Not only 11's, but solidly in the 11.60's with a soft-pedaled 60ft. I am pleased that your plan came together with the desired results. Put a set of slicks on that bad boy and see what happens when you get some traction. Spinning into the mid elevens is impressive!
Old 11-10-2013, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Brent. I appreciate your help with figuring out whether the GMPP dual plane was the way to go, and referring me to Tim on the cam. I am convinced its a very strong combo for a street oriented setup.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Old School Heavy

I think everyone else is convinced now too.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:03 AM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

what does your car weigh with you in it?

Quick Reply: Problem fixed version 3.0...VIDS and RESULTS are in!!