Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

MSD 610 timing question, map sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD 610 timing question, map sensor

Question about the timing pills used with the 6010. Until I can get a computer that's compatible with the MSD software, (using a MAC) with the #3 pill, or any number pill do I need to hook up the map sensor?
Old 11-29-2013, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just add the base map timing to the regular timing table for the pill of choice, and that will be the actual timing the engine is seeing. In other words, if the map table chart shows that the map is a max of 6* added, and just for example, the #3 pill shows 18*, the timing your engine sees is 18*+6*, for a total of 24*. Just remember the map value will add the 6* all the way across the RPM range , to the base timing value. When you hook the map sensor up, the function will work like it is suppose to, adding more timing at part throttle and backing the added timing off as the intake vacuum diminishes. Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by newschool72
Just add the base map timing to the regular timing table for the pill of choice, and that will be the actual timing the engine is seeing. In other words, if the map table chart shows that the map is a max of 6* added, and just for example, the #3 pill shows 18*, the timing your engine sees is 18*+6*, for a total of 24*. Just remember the map value will add the 6* all the way across the RPM range , to the base timing value. When you hook the map sensor up, the function will work like it is suppose to, adding more timing at part throttle and backing the added timing off as the intake vacuum diminishes. Hope this helps.
If I'm understanding, just plug the number 3 pill in with the map hooked up and fire it up? I just want to make sure I'm not running too much timing. I won't be running hard until I get a computer that's compatible with the msd software and can play with the timing myself.
thanks
Old 11-29-2013, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have a map sensor hooked up to the intake and MSD box?
Old 11-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Do you have a map sensor hooked up to the intake and MSD box?
Yes sir, I do.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, you should be fine to just plug a pill in the box and go. Just be a little conservative on pill selection and let the engine tell you whether it wants more or not. Watch the plugs for signs of spark knock and listen closely as well. The MSD chips are fairly conservative, IF you have a working Map sensor. Start low and work up and you will be fine. Good Luck and welcome to the speaking side of the board ! ( I noticed you joined in 2010, but only have 19 posts, LOL)
Old 11-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, you should be fine to just plug a pill in the box and go. Just be a little conservative on pill selection and let the engine tell you whether it wants more or not. Watch the plugs for signs of spark knock and listen closely as well. The MSD chips are fairly conservative, IF you have a working Map sensor. Start low and work up and you will be fine. Good Luck and welcome to the speaking side of the board ! ( I noticed you joined in 2010, but only have 19 posts, LOL)
Yeah, I read more than I post. lol Trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks for your help. I'll post up more once I get it running.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool. Just start with one of the lower pills and you will be fine. Keep us posted !
Old 11-29-2013, 05:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 129 Likes on 116 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Page 6 shows what pill does what....http://www.msdignition.com/instructi...trols/6010.pdf

Also remember that the rev limiter is 5500 (I think I remember reading)

Quick Reply: MSD 610 timing question, map sensor