Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breather filter on oil filler neck 2002 z28

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breather filter on oil filler neck 2002 z28

Forged 347 5.3 heads and a cam. 231/239 .617/.624

Right now the truck pcv in the stock pcv line set up, into a catch can, and back into my ls6 intake. I DONT have the ls6 valley cover.

Problem is the car doesn't have any blow bye, doesn't smoke, and doesn't use but half a quart between oil changes... 3,500 miles or so.

I get oil on the plug threads. Just the threads. It is annoying. Intake is coated with oil as well. Catch can is working as it should and made a slight difference. But I feel like the pcv just sucks it out of the crank case.

Can I put a vac cap over the pcv line, vac cap over the intake vac port, and run a filter on the oil filler neck?

Thanks guys.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Launching!

The inside of the intake is coated or the outside of the intake is coated?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
The inside of the intake is coated or the outside of the intake is coated?
Inside. My engine has zero leaks and runs like a stocker.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Launching!

You shouldn't be getting oil in the intake unless your catch can is completely full of oil or your hoses aren't routed correctly. Not sure how you can have oil on just the spark plug threads.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

With H/C I would get the RX performance CC with the breather they sell...which is actually a check valve. The CC has a PCV valve built in to prevent any blow-by. Hooked up correctly you won't get ANY oil in your intake. Don't bother with an LS6 valley....waste of money unless you want to de-clutter the engine bay a bit.

I was getting oil through the TB fresh air tube until I switched over to their breather and capped the TB off.

Last edited by BrntWS6; 12-07-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can is definitely working and catching oil.

Stock pcv routing goes through the pcv and into the bottom of the can and out the top. I considered doing one with a check valve for when I spray it, but it's not necessary n/a.

If I do a vented can it is the same as just doing a filter without the mess no?

Oil get's into the intake and get's sucked down into the combustion chamber.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Just saying not all CCs are created equal....most on the market have some blow-by. Rx recommends their breather and capping off the TB and front passenger valve cover ports with H/C.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Just saying not all CCs are created equal....most on the market have some blow-by. Rx recommends their breather and capping off the TB and front passenger valve cover ports with H/C.
Agreed! I have a mighty mouse catch can. It seems to be a quality piece though.

About that last part, doesn't everyone say you leave that hose on. Clean side or something?
Old 12-08-2013, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

The little TB hose is your fresh air. When you add the filter on the oil cap it now becomes the fresh air inlet with a flow controlling check valve, it's not just an open breather. No need for the TB hose now which is a common source for oil in the intake.

You could stick a q-tip in both hoses to see if your getting oil through one or both, if your intake hose is dirty you know it's the CC, TB hose you know you've got too much crank case pressure. I know I was getting a **** load of oil through my TB tube with a catch can.

Here's a pic of mine. My TB tube is capped, just didn't have it on when I took the pic.

Last edited by BrntWS6; 12-08-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good information. I will def stick a q-tip in the clean air hose on the tb. As soon as I pull the the vac hose off the intake it's still usually wet. Meaning it's wet after the can.

I mis-understood the part about the check valve. Did you buy a screw in cap that has a built in check valve in the filter? I think I mis-understood you earlier in thinking you had a can with a check valve on top that opened to vent.

Thanks for keeping up with the thread btw.

Edit: Is this what you have?

http://www.revxtreme.com/performance...r-oil-fill-cap

I guess that allows you to run a filter and a cc and only have it vent when it reads 0 vac?

If I have oil in the clean air line can I cap both sides without a vc filter to see if there is a diff?

Last edited by flattusmaximus78; 12-08-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:30 AM
Launching!

A vented catch can mostly just gives the oily air some place to go when the PCV or check valve closes. Mightymouse's boosted can is a very nice piece that provides both functions. I have one myself.

You may try moving the PCV valve between the catch can and the intake manifold and see if that helps with your problem. As to the filter on the valve cover it will work but it introduces two new problems. First it allows un-metered air into the intake manifold. Not a big problem as the computer will adjust for it but it's still something to note. Second when you do spray or even just go WOT you're likely to puke some oil out of the filter onto the valve covers/intake. Also not a huge deal but messy none the less.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
A vented catch can mostly just gives the oily air some place to go when the PCV or check valve closes. Mightymouse's boosted can is a very nice piece that provides both functions. I have one myself.

You may try moving the PCV valve between the catch can and the intake manifold and see if that helps with your problem. As to the filter on the valve cover it will work but it introduces two new problems. First it allows un-metered air into the intake manifold. Not a big problem as the computer will adjust for it but it's still something to note. Second when you do spray or even just go WOT you're likely to puke some oil out of the filter onto the valve covers/intake. Also not a huge deal but messy none the less.
He offered me that can, at a good deal too... wish I had sprung for it!

As far as the filter goes. If I were to run one I would prob run one without a check valve to make sure as much as possible could vent out. I feel like most of the oil that ends up on the threads gets sucked into the intake during normal driving. Not wot.

But then again you mention the last part, it would be nice to know that as soon as it reads vac again after a pull it closes shut. I run one on my old mans stock bottom end fox with a vortech that makes 472 to the tire. Def use to dealing with the small mess it creates. But I doubt mine would honestly be pushing out much oil. I've never popped a dipstick out or anything like that. When I broke this motor in it sealed up nicel.

Again thanks for the info guys I like seeing everyones experiences.

Edit: Just as a cheap test before investing in a filter with a check valve. Does anyone know if the standard autozone K & N breather filter fits. I'm sure someone knows which one I'm talking about.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

UPDATE: I ran a q-tip through the clean air line and it's pretty damn dry.

I'm thinking about adding the filter with the check valve and cap the clean side vac ports anyways.

Might also add huskey filter between the can and the intake.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you tried locating the CC further away from the engine/exhaust heat? This will allow the CC to remain cooler so it can capture more oil/contaminants present in the crank case vapor.
Since you not getting any oil up into the TB The I wouldn't bother with the additional breather, doesn't sound like you need it. So I'd still keep the fresh air inlet from the TB to the PS valve cover an try moving the CC to a cooler location.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 12-11-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's actually behind the Driver head light lol. I have it work clamped around the plastic piece that hangs off the fuse box. Should give you a idea of how far away it is.

I see what you are saying though. Still getting some in the line after the can and in the intake manifold regardless.

I ended up getting a filter with a check valve. Not the RX one, they hard to work with. I'll give it a shot. Other wise I will live with it. It's never caused harm or foul. Just a little oil.

Quick Reply: Breather filter on oil filler neck 2002 z28