Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L76 from G8GT to GM A-body

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L76 from G8GT to GM A-body

Hi all, I am new to the LS world, but learning fast. I have gotten great info from this site, but have not found exact answers to the following questions so I am starting this new thread. I purchased an L76 from a 08 G8GT. 39K miles and want to convert to my GM A-body. It is complete with with wire harness. It seemed like a good start, Ok price, with low miles and basically an LS2 block, L92 heads and LS3 type intake, 37# injectors. The plan was not to touch the bottom end, swap cam/lifters/springs and proper computer programing and be 450-500hp with decent torque through out. Concerns as follows:
Disable DOD:To disable the DOD function is not just a cam swap. It will be about $1500-$2000 (this includes the pump mod). Thats a lot of $$$. Does it make sense to go through this or start with a non-DOD motor?
Compression: L76 compression is 9.5:1. Can I make the power I want with this low compression ratio in an LS?
DBW: The TB is 90mm DBW. Is it as easy as just replacing with a DBC TB? I don't want the expense or hassle of adding a DBW pedal.

I do not have a computer or harness for the car. Not sure yet what I will do for that.

Ultimate Goal is to be deep in the 12s. Current setup is SBC 350 about 280RWHP, TKO600 12bolt 3:73. I run 13.8s with 2sec 60ft time.

Looking forward to some guidance.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what year chevelle
DBW TO DBC is an easy swap
deleating DOD should not be anywhere near that expensive
9.5 is good for compresion , when you are changing springs , have the heads milled , and run a thin head gasket if you want more
you will need to remove heads to change lifters , s--can the dod lifters
ive done a 64 and am starting a 66
Old 12-23-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check with Texas Speed, they have delete kit for both VVT and DOD ! But, yeah. .seen kit for like $1200+...

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-717-dod...elete-kit.aspx
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-724-vvt-delete-kit.aspx

BC
Old 12-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply guys. Car is a 68 Lemans. I have had since high school. Many SBC in it and finally trying to take the leap to LS power.
DOD delete: Yep, TSP is one place I looked. Others are a little cheaper, but same magnitude. The base kit only has the DOD replacement lifters. Add in decent head bolts, complete lifter set and price starts climbing. My understanding is for a swap you have to address the oil pump (high volume for DOD) because you cannot run an 8.8qt pan and you risk running the pan dry.

What kind of Compression can I get with just the thin head gasket?
Old 12-23-2013, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can delete dod cheaper , texas speed is a great company , with their kit I would assume , you get cam-springs-timing chain-lifters , quite a bit more than just deleting dod , a thinner gasket should net you between .25 and .5 increase in compression
Old 12-24-2013, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have the DBW parts from the donor, why not use it? In my experience DBW works quite well.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:52 AM
Teching In

I only have the DBW TB, none of the pedal and harness stuff.
On the DOD delete issue, TSP kit starts at $400, no cam or springs, their cam kit starts at $750 for cam, lifters, springs, push rods. bczee post was more correct at $1200, but once I upgrade a little and get the oil pump stuff it will be easy $1500. Anyone recommend a cheaper way to do this?
Also, if anyone can pipe in on thoughts regarding my power goals it would be appreciated.
FYI, Pic attached of the car this will go in.
Attached Thumbnails L76 from G8GT to GM A-body-p10503011111.jpg  
Old 12-25-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

I would definitely retain the DBW. Since this is a GEn IV engine, you shouldn't need a TAC module. You can probably use the LS3 ECU and harness kit from GMPP. It is a very complete kit and you can have it retuned. You might even be able to use the LS2 kit and I bet the tune will be very close.

Andrew

Quick Reply: L76 from G8GT to GM A-body