Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Firebird LS Swap V6 To V8

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Firebird LS Swap V6 To V8

Hello every one, I currently own a 98 V6 Firebird, the 3.8 is going out on me, I diagnosed it and codes such as cylinder 6 missfiring, went and got a whole tune up done, car was running good for about 2 days then back to struggling, chocking, dying on me at stop signs and such. Well long story short, I talked to this mechanic and he said he'll help me do the LS Swap on it, and I found a 5.3/4L60E for cheap already, now I need a rear and a K Member, I was just wondering what other parts do I need? and if anyone has done this swap please let me know any info on what I need to do. Help would be really appreciated.

Thank y'all.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

From my understanding, if you get the 98 f-body ls1 harness and pcm that it is almost a direct plug in type swap. There just needs to be a circuit added for the bank 2 coils. Also with the V8 cradle you will need the V8 rack/pinion. Some people use the 98 fuel rail that has the feed and return since the 3.8 has both ran up to the rail. Or if you go with the 99-02 fuel rail you could just use a Corvette filter underhood. Or the third option is to get the fuel lines from the V8 car and swap them in. Also for a stockish 5.3 the factory fuel pump should do, ut if you plan to make any real power a new pump is needed. That's all I know, which isn't much. I am doing the same type swap this spring in a 99 Firebird.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks man, I found a donor car for the parts needed already, I'm just in a budget right now and now I'm undecided if to do the swap or stay with the V6, fix whatever problem it has, sell it and just get an actual LS1 Trans Am. I hope everything comes out good in your swap.

Quick Reply: 98 Firebird LS Swap V6 To V8