Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a fair price?

I had to cut the hangers holding up my exhaust in order to drop the trans out of it. Now I've got everything back together and I just need to get the hangers welded back together. So I called the guy that did the exhaust for me. He wants $50 to do it. For what he's gotta do to it and the time it would take I think that is a total ripoff. ALL he has to do is weld the hangers back, absolutely no welding on the actual pipes or anything else. I can't imagine it taking him more than 20-25 minutes and that''s including putting the car on the lift.But before I drive around to another shop I wanted to hear some opinions from you guys. Do you think thats a fair price or not?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

I have no idea what his shop rate is, but most places around here will charge a minimum of 1 hr for a job like that. If it was mine, I would pay the $50 and be glad it's done.

You could always go buy a welder and do it yourself.....
Old 01-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Its his personal shop in which he is the only employee. So he makes his own pay rate. But I understand what you mean. Its just like damn this dude wants $50 to weld 4 little steel rod hangers. WTF.

If I had the funds to get welding equipment believe me I would.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

It's one of those things, he has bills and shop equipment isn't cheap and he probably charging a hour. Would I pay it no! But I do all my own work. I would call around and get a few quotes.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Yea I think you guys are right. I'm probably gonna just have to chalk it up. There's two good shops around me that I'm gonna call tomorrow. But I'm thinking they're gonna charge me a minimum of 1 hour of labor which is gonna be the same price if not more. Ugh **** it. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Is this a fair price?