Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty Headers - Sounds?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorty Headers - Sounds?

Looking at shorty headers for my car, and I don't want to know if you think I should get longtube headers -which seems to be the most common answer to any shorty headers question - all I want to know is (and I haven't been able to find this specifically addressed in any other threads) do shorty headers make a significant change in exhaust note? Right now my 2000 Z28 is stock except a flowmaster muffler and K&N airfilter.

Again, don't need to know if you think I should get LTs or a new muffler, just want to know if shorties would make a significant improvement in the exhaust sound - anyone have a similar setup?
Old 01-14-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Camarochriss
Looking at shorty headers for my car, and I don't want to know if you think I should get longtube headers -which seems to be the most common answer to any shorty headers question - all I want to know is (and I haven't been able to find this specifically addressed in any other threads) do shorty headers make a significant change in exhaust note? Right now my 2000 Z28 is stock except a flowmaster muffler and K&N airfilter.

Again, don't need to know if you think I should get LTs or a new muffler, just want to know if shorties would make a significant improvement in the exhaust sound - anyone have a similar setup?
Yes, they change the exhaust sound. On my 2000 B4C I insisted on doing short headers because I didn't want to address the y-pipe. The B4C had a chokemaster catback and gutted cats. The headers definitely made it louder. Not nicer, louder.

Later I woke up and installed 1 7/8" TSP long tubes and a Magnaflow catback.

So to answer your question, yes, they change the sound. Now go get longtubes
Old 01-14-2014, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's my car with LS7 exhaust manifolds, basically shorties

They make a difference for sure, but only if you upgrade your midpipe as well. Shorties through stock midpipe will sound stock.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I switched from Jet-Hot long tubes & Y, to
JBA shorties / Mufflex tubes / SLP Y, my exhaust
got slightly louder. I put this to the superior SLP
Y merge, the Jet-Hot was craptastic in design and
fabrication and I think its inherent reversion made
for some loss of noise.

Quick Reply: Shorty Headers - Sounds?