Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

newb needs advice on his t56

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default newb needs advice on his t56

So I'm swapping a ls/t56 in my 73 nova. Whole setup came out of an 02 camaro. I never got to drive it because the LS needs to be gone through, but the PO says the T56 is in great shape. Car had 120k miles on it and was bone stock.

My power plans for the swap include freshening up the LS1, adding a bigger cam, long tube headers, maybe a Bigger TB, and a tune.

My question is, since the T56 is out, should I go through and replace the bearings, seals, synchros? Is there anything that usually fails at this point? Or should I just run it?

Additionally, the PO said the clutch is a stock one and is brand new. Will a stock clutch handle the 400-450HP and 400ft-lbs tq I plan to put out?

Thanks guys.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for the bearings, seals, & synchros somebody who is more knowledgeable then I am would have to comment. My T56 holds 400hp just fine so if it does shift fine you should be good. Again I am no expert.

However I would recommend going with an LS7 clutch. My LS1 clutch still had life in it but suffered when getting on it. Felt like a pig. One LS7 clutch later, it felt so much better. More reliable feeling IMO.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

LS1Tech 10 Year

If its not broke don't fix it. you can put your money towards the rest of the project for now. once its running if you have problems then fix. just my 2 cents. I will be having mine ran through only because I know its broke.

here is a pic notice the broken main shaft and tail shaft:
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-10-2014, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Forcepower
If its not broke don't fix it. you can put your money towards the rest of the project for now. once its running if you have problems then fix. just my 2 cents. I will be having mine ran through only because I know its broke.

here is a pic notice the broken main shaft and tail shaft:
[IMG][/IMG]
That's where I was leaning, leaving it be that is, but I didn't know if there were any "must dos".
Old 02-10-2014, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RedLineWS6
As for the bearings, seals, & synchros somebody who is more knowledgeable then I am would have to comment. My T56 holds 400hp just fine so if it does shift fine you should be good. Again I am no expert.

However I would recommend going with an LS7 clutch. My LS1 clutch still had life in it but suffered when getting on it. Felt like a pig. One LS7 clutch later, it felt so much better. More reliable feeling IMO.
Yeah if shifts through all the gears fine, drained the fluid and besides being old ATF that was dark, it didn't smell burnt, and no chunks or metallic stuff came out.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:56 PM

Hate to be the party pooper but if I was building a project car especially with a little more ***, and using a t56 with that many miles I'd have it gone through just because of the notorious 3-4 shift fork the LS t56 weakest link mine broke and not a fun day I didn't have 4th and third either popped out of gear or got stuck in gear when I tried to move it... Not a fun day... So if it was me I'd at least get the updated fork and new syncros and any other wear item inspected... Is hate for you to get it all together and get down the road 50 mi then have to tear it back down for something that could have been prevented... My sayn is pay now, or pay later... Pay now and get it looked at or pay later and roll the dice on pulling the tranny back out quite possible sooner than you'd want... But hey man either way just my two cents lol good luck to you and I'd love to see that kick *** retro nova on the street...
Old 02-13-2014, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camaro_3245
Hate to be the party pooper but if I was building a project car especially with a little more ***, and using a t56 with that many miles I'd have it gone through just because of the notorious 3-4 shift fork the LS t56 weakest link mine broke and not a fun day I didn't have 4th and third either popped out of gear or got stuck in gear when I tried to move it... Not a fun day... So if it was me I'd at least get the updated fork and new syncros and any other wear item inspected... Is hate for you to get it all together and get down the road 50 mi then have to tear it back down for something that could have been prevented... My sayn is pay now, or pay later... Pay now and get it looked at or pay later and roll the dice on pulling the tranny back out quite possible sooner than you'd want... But hey man either way just my two cents lol good luck to you and I'd love to see that kick *** retro nova on the street...
Hey man I appreciate the feedback, I was lookin for all sides. Being a T56 newb, I didn't know what parts failed, thanks for that. But it does prompt a few more questions:

1. Can you refresh a T56 at home? Which are the necessary specialty tools?
2. About how much does a "kit" cost and what are the necessary items?
3. Any vendor recommendations?

Again thanks for all the help.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:04 PM

I can't help you there guy I'm a diesel technician with a camaro lol... There is a place tick performance check them out suppsto be really good with transmissions that's where I was gonna get mine rebuilt till I pulled the drain plug and clunk clunk clunk in the drain pan and no fluid came out until I poked though the metal shavings with a pick lol
Old 02-13-2014, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sure you can do it at home, with a few correct tools its not hard at all, I did it and I had never torn down a manual trans before. There are some really good write-ups! A good stage 2 kit is around $650. I got my parts from thegearbox.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i rebuilt my t56 at home with parts from tick. I did all new bearings and syncros. Some of the bearings do require either some really long pullers or a press though. But all the syncros are just a matter of pulling a few snap rings. The big thing is to either take pictures and keep everything in order or get a break down of the tranny like i did so i could see how everything went back together. I think i had close to 400$ in redoing mine(well worth it). My tranny had 100k on it and wouldnt allow me to downshift from 3rd to 2nd due to a broken snap ring inside.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rob WS6
Sure you can do it at home, with a few correct tools its not hard at all, I did it and I had never torn down a manual trans before. There are some really good write-ups! A good stage 2 kit is around $650. I got my parts from thegearbox.
Awesome thanks.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fastassls1maro
i rebuilt my t56 at home with parts from tick. I did all new bearings and syncros. Some of the bearings do require either some really long pullers or a press though. But all the syncros are just a matter of pulling a few snap rings. The big thing is to either take pictures and keep everything in order or get a break down of the tranny like i did so i could see how everything went back together. I think i had close to 400$ in redoing mine(well worth it). My tranny had 100k on it and wouldnt allow me to downshift from 3rd to 2nd due to a broken snap ring inside.
Great! Yeah I have a press and access to pullers. I'm pretty confident I can get it done.

Quick Reply: newb needs advice on his t56