Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

found a nasty cobalt ss on 21psi vid included

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default found a nasty cobalt ss on 21psi vid included

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSY3nW29ZBY

Pretty quick but had 4 people in my car
Old 02-12-2014, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I miss my cobalt SS... Sometimes lol

I had a little more power than that white one though... Kick your passengers out next time... That little 4 banger almost caught you haha
Old 02-12-2014, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, I would have expected a Cobalt on 21 lbs to pull on a V with 4 people in it. Weird. The nitrous runs were funny. All I could think was, "It's just like in the movies...!"
Old 02-12-2014, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmylez
Damn, I would have expected a Cobalt on 21 lbs to pull on a V with 4 people in it. Weird. The nitrous runs were funny. All I could think was, "It's just like in the movies...!"
Trifecta tunes aren't all that good. You forget the kind of power the LS makes in the top. The cobalt starts to die off on top cuz the turbo is too small for upper rpm runs. Mine was pushing 27psi on an ethanol mix tune. I would have easily walked both cars. I have done HP tunes on cobalts that previously had Trifecta... No contest... HP is better if you have a good tuner.

Edit.... As long as you still had 700lbs of passengers lol... If you and I were both solo and I still had the cobalt SS you would have walked easily with that 100shot

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 02-12-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Well I have tires on the way I'm showing belts and can't stop spinning but it was like a 70 shot it's a hundred shot at 1000psi it was only at 800psi
Old 02-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

My buddy used to have a ss/tc. All bolt ons, stock turbo, fuel cam, and e85 it ran great. He went to a 6262 and a gen 3 block, never got it running right and parted it out for a fox body. I never had the chance to race him in my V1 when he was stock turbo but I'd assume he had a high 11x trap car
Old 02-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Good looking runs man i would have told those guys to tuck and roll. I would have come back to get them after haha
Old 02-12-2014, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrAkalin
My buddy used to have a ss/tc. All bolt ons, stock turbo, fuel cam, and e85 it ran great. He went to a 6262 and a gen 3 block, never got it running right and parted it out for a fox body. I never had the chance to race him in my V1 when he was stock turbo but I'd assume he had a high 11x trap car
With the E85 and cam it MIGHT trap 11s but with the traction limitations of the FWD and of the giant calipers up front your tires are limited. Mine was mid-low 12s all day no matter what. And it trapped in the mid to upper teens. Its a shame he couldn't get it running right. I was going to do a 6262 as well and shoot for 500whp, after that it requires a full lower end build. The LNF block is good to the 6-700hp range. I imagine his issue was dialing in a tune. You really need giant charge piping for it and the 3bar maps. I was going to do 4inch downpipe and 3 inch chargepipes with a 6262. But I have a kid now, plans change.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

I meant high teen trap speed when I said 11x trap car, sorry for the miss understanding.

As far as I know he had James tuning it and it was never right, car leaned out on the dyno and he lost a cylinder. He was tired of working out the bugs in the car and he found metal shards in the oil filter and said eff this car. He had a gen 3 built and sleeved block, built lsj tranny, ported stock head with the fuel cams and all bolt ons obviously. I don't remember his name but mongorat on css bought back the block (who my buddy had build it) and he's glad he's out of the cobalt game haha
Old 02-12-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

Old 02-12-2014, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrAkalin
I meant high teen trap speed when I said 11x trap car, sorry for the miss understanding.

As far as I know he had James tuning it and it was never right, car leaned out on the dyno and he lost a cylinder. He was tired of working out the bugs in the car and he found metal shards in the oil filter and said eff this car. He had a gen 3 built and sleeved block, built lsj tranny, ported stock head with the fuel cams and all bolt ons obviously. I don't remember his name but mongorat on css bought back the block (who my buddy had build it) and he's glad he's out of the cobalt game haha
Yea my bad... I wasn't reading very carefully.

James huh??? Thats all you had to say. James blew up a car of a buddy of mine. Long story, I warned, people don't listen. Man I always had good luck with the tuner I used. He was always a little more expensive. But I never blew anything on line. Very safe tune, lots of power.

Edit: yes I know mongorat... He sold that block not to long ago after he rebuilt it I believe. Or he sold it as is... I can't remember for the life of me for some damn reason. I just remember seeing it on Facebook.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 02-12-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

It's funny how James has a reputation.. F that guy he's a loser.

Anyways, the ss/tc Cobalts respond very well to mods, and will really put it on some cars that don't expect it from a roll. From a dig, in my experience they don't do anything but spin.

I wanna say mongorat got the block back 2-3 weeks ago so maybe we're talking about the same block!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't get a video... But I was doing logging one night on the way home from work, about 1am. Came across a line of about 15 mustangs. Ranging from classics to foxes to a fairly new stage 3 roush 07ish as I recall so a sc4.6 liter as I recall. I didn't ask what he had, we were on the freeway. But he sounded relatively stock. But as soon as we honked off I could hear a little whine form his hood. I was on my 91 octane tune at the time, I think it was around 20-21psi. I had bad wheel spin the first run from 40mph in 2nd. Then I was a little more judicious on the second run, I put him on my back bumper. I was literally chasing maf issues and trying to fix some stuff. And I still hung with that thing. FYI, same tune, ran across a LS2 V with machined heads, cam, intake mani, headers, and exhaust... Door to door til 120mph. He was solo, but the V gearing and such, the LS pulls hard up top.

About a year later I was on E47 (E85/91 mixed) at the Roval road course at Fontana. There was a mustang (4.6L) with a procharger on race gas, no contest, like he wasn't even on the gas, there was also a Boss track pack, that one was a handful for the ol cobalt. But she did prevail. Barely gapped him on the straight, but sheer bravery (or stupidity depending on your point if view) in the corners opens it up. I just liked killing mustangs for some reason. Around here, in general, they talk more **** that Honda owners so they are fun to put away. Other cars at Fontana that were slower than a FWD rental car were: MB C63AMG, BMW M3 (at the time, the new V8 ones), a few Porsches, STIs, Mazdaspeed 3, and an M5 that was driven by a total douchebag.

YouTube channel search ryridesmotox its mostly there. Though, I am not a videographer (the videos suck lol)

They respond excellent to mods but after bolt ons and a turbo it gets relatively expensive.

Mine was Treadstone Performance intake, charge pipes, 52mm blow off valve, tr8 intercooler, catless downpipe, exedy hypersingle clutch, rotated engine and trans mounts. Reason for blow off valve was the 6262 I wanted doesn't have an internal bypass like the stock turbo. Basically I was waiting for Treadstone to finish their log manifold for the large single scroll turbos... It put down like 420trq at the wheels on E47. It was a pretty ***** out tune though.

Then fate intervened and my girlfriend called me up and was like... "IM PREGNANT!!!" I WAS LIKE "FUUUUUUUUUUUUQ... no more car parts"

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 02-13-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

The last part of your post made me lol. The buddy that had the cobalt has a long history with cars, owning termi cobras, block fords, blown GM cars, big turbo STI's, Evo's etc etc he was one of those guys that had a car every month. He kept the cobalt for over a year and bought it stock which was out of the ordinary for him. We all joked with him that he has one far more races in the cobalt than he had with any car he's ever owned. Every single car meet he was out racing it was pretty funny. He was the roll race queen in a cobalt lol
Old 02-13-2014, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea roll races are the way to go. But I did digs with guys a lot. The rotated mounts and tires I had helped a ton. But I'd always have to play catch up.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope to see the OPs car in may at hot rod weekend.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

I know the guy that does the trifecta tunes. Vince. He is a great programmer. But not the best tunner. He first did a dyno tune on my v. Lets just say it made power but later on I ended up getting a retune because it needed adjustments for dailey driving.

Quick Reply: found a nasty cobalt ss on 21psi vid included