Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbed foxbody swappers lets talk! I need advice please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbed foxbody swappers lets talk! I need advice please!!!!

Alright guys ill try to keep this short and sweet. I'm doing a 5.3 in a mustang (like everyone else) I'm gonna use a carburetor at this point. What I need to know is what you guys did with your headlight wiring harness, it plugged into the main wiring harness that goes through the firewall on the drivers side. This is where I'm most confused on what to do with it. The engine wiring harness also plugged into that but It's long gone. Basically I just need help on figuring out what wiring will be used for the headlights. Other than that the wiring should be simple, msd 6010 and some grounds. Done. Well I hope someone can help me!! Thanks in advance!!!!!!! And sorry I couldn't keep it short .
Old 02-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't have to touch anything related to the body harness

See my thread for a lot of carb conversion related wiring info
Old 02-18-2014, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by krochus
You shouldn't have to touch anything related to the body harness

See my thread for a lot of carb conversion related wiring info
+1. Foxbody body harness isn't attached to the engine harness. While it may run into the same areas as the engine harness they are independent of each other.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:13 AM
Teching In

Hmm I'm not sure exactly what harness this is for then. I'll have to snap a picture tomorrow and check out those threads. Thanks though guys!
Old 02-18-2014, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are 2 connectors for the engine harness to the body harness these being disconnected will not affect the lights.
Some of the gauges run to the dash from the engine thru them.

There is a switched ignition wire that can be used to turn the MSD box on in one of those plugs.

Tim
Old 02-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Thanks Tim. I really need to find that thread and see some pics so I can really see what I have going on. The engine harness is gone. I have the headlight harness but it's unplugged so I'll be re running it when that time comes. Only wiring left is the harness that comes through the fire wall on the drivers side by the strut tower. I think it ran the ignition, coil, headlights etc but I am not sure. I want to make sure if I need this harness or not before I go just yanking it out.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Krochus do you have a link for me possibly ?
Old 02-18-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustang5.3
Thanks Tim. I really need to find that thread and see some pics so I can really see what I have going on. The engine harness is gone. I have the headlight harness but it's unplugged so I'll be re running it when that time comes. Only wiring left is the harness that comes through the fire wall on the drivers side by the strut tower. I think it ran the ignition, coil, headlights etc but I am not sure. I want to make sure if I need this harness or not before I go just yanking it out.
Where is the connector that is unplugged? If I'm not mistaken, the headlight wires come through the firewall and run to the headlights with no plugs in-between.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

The headlights are controlled between you multi-function switch, dimmer control, and headlight/hazard switch. All wires then funnel through the grommet at the firewall and run to the necessary areas. Other wires in the bundle are horn, brake level sensor, wiper motor controls, and power/grounds that went to the solenoid. There is a single plug that should be around the strut tower that is only for the headlights(high/low), running lights, turn signals, and horn. There are not many wires to run the lights so check the diagrams and it will be clear to you.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks top notch! I was assuming where the headlights high/low plug in was a complete different harness. I'll try searching google for a wiring diagram, thank you guys for the help!!!!

Quick Reply: Carbed foxbody swappers lets talk! I need advice please!!!!