Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Camaro Z28 Transmission Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Camaro Z28 Transmission Slipping

My son owns a 97 Z28 and the transmission has been fine until yesterday. We had the rear differential seal repaired and an engine mount replaced. On the way back from the shop, the transmission began to slip.

Any chance that either of the repairs done had an impact on the transmission? I don't believe so, but I am not a mechanic so I can't say for sure.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:19 AM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

Since the driveshaft was removed, there is the possibility that some ATF leaked out and was not replace. The trans is sensitive to fluid level - be sure it is full; some people find that 1/4 to 1/2 quart over full reduces slippage.
Remember that the exact fluid level needs to be check with the engine running and the trans at operating temperature. The "approximate" fluid level can be checked with the engine off - it should be about an inch over the full line.

Other than that, I cannot imagine how that repair could have affected the trans; well unless they abused the car during a test drive.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:57 AM

Thank you.

I will be checking the fluid level today.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:04 PM

Fluid level was fine. Car shifts from 1st to 2nd, but then when it tries to shift to 3rd, it slips.

Quick Reply: 97 Camaro Z28 Transmission Slipping