Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Having problems taking driveshaft off and putting back on tailshaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having problems taking driveshaft off and putting back on tailshaft

I'm having problems removing and installing my driveshaft on my t56. I'm having to knock it on with a hammer and also off. Car drives fine and no vibrations. When it was bought I had same problem and it has never changed. Trans came from a 2000 SS car and driveshaft is Denny's steel shaft. Tail shaft appears to be straight and splines are fine. Any info on prior experiences would be helpful if there are any out there.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Splines on the yoke or the main shaft are likely twisted. Doesn't take much twist, sometimes barely enough to see, to make the yoke stubborn.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to start pulling trans Tonite. I'll check it again with a straight edge and see if they are twisted any. Last time I pulled it I checked it and it didn't look like they were twisted or anything. But it never hurts to look again. Could've been something I missed.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya, see if you can borrow a stock or friends DS to see how the spines are on your OPS

I think you could check if the OPS is fine and its the DS yoke without having the pull the trans just for that.

Quick Reply: Having problems taking driveshaft off and putting back on tailshaft