LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1996 Exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Exhaust??

What exit and tips did a stock 1996 Z come with? I've checked everywhere and can't see a good view. The guy I bought my car from said that a SLP cat back was installed at same time SC was installed but this sounds nothing like my dads '01 Loudmouth. Mine has dual tips out of the driver side rear. Can I just add a Magnaflow to get it louder?
Old 02-27-2014, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

sounds like you have the SOTL exhaust or single out the left exhaust. id keep it. one of the best sounding exhaust and pretty sought after by lt1 guys. it should be 3 inch from the cat to the muffler.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mhslax6
What exit and tips did a stock 1996 Z come with? I've checked everywhere and can't see a good view. The guy I bought my car from said that a SLP cat back was installed at same time SC was installed but this sounds nothing like my dads '01 Loudmouth. Mine has dual tips out of the driver side rear. Can I just add a Magnaflow to get it louder?
A stock Z-28 had a pair of "flattened" rectangular tips, finished with a matte black paint. If you have a fairly large, single inlet muffler, with dual, slash cut tips exiting the drivers' side, you most likely have the SLP exhaust that was available in '96. Keep in mind, those mufflers were available as a "factory option" through SLP, so they had to comply with Federal noise regulations....sort of. The "loudmouth" is nothing more than a small resonator, so yeah, it's loud!
Old 02-27-2014, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
A stock Z-28 had a pair of "flattened" rectangular tips, finished with a matte black paint. If you have a fairly large, single inlet muffler, with dual, slash cut tips exiting the drivers' side, you most likely have the SLP exhaust that was available in '96. Keep in mind, those mufflers were available as a "factory option" through SLP, so they had to comply with Federal noise regulations....sort of. The "loudmouth" is nothing more than a small resonator, so yeah, it's loud!
Yes, that is what I have. So can I change just the muffler out? I'd like it a little more "throaty".
Old 02-27-2014, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

you can change the muffler sure thing, just need a muffler with a 3inch diamater and can try to find one with 2 exits on the left or you can go to a dual setup. Personally i'd sell it for a decent amount and buy a whole new catback. Like people have posted those sell well cause lt1 people sought after them. How much they sell for i'm unsure but i know a new slp lm exhaust can be had for less then 400
Old 02-27-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd pull the whole thing and sell it. Probably get enough to buy a used stainless catback.

Quick Reply: 1996 Exhaust??