Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPP LS3-480 controller--voltage control wire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMPP LS3-480 controller--voltage control wire?

I'm a long time reader, but don't often post--I sure hope you guys have run into this! Please don't just tell me to run the one wire alternator!

I'm putting a new crate LS3 in my 1978 Vette, and I've done a lot of searching, but can't get a clear answer. I know I can hook a single wire from the alternator to the battery and charge it. I want to use the standard voltage control method where I run out of the alternator to a junction point where most high power (headlight) demands drop off before running to the battery on a smaller gage wire to charge. This junction point is supposed to be the control voltage point--as I understand it--I think it currently hooked to the horn relay maybe(?).

Has anyone else gone thru this?. which wire in the gmpp harness is the voltage control wire that senses this voltage and provides the feedback to the alternator?

I'm a mechanical guy, so sure looking for some guidance!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...aq-thread.html

Hope this helps
Old 03-13-2014, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for replying--I am not getting responses because most people either "get it" or think they do--but I'm still confused! I've read a LOT of replies on this sort of thing. The idea of exciting the generator field using either the light or the resistor makes sense, but what doesn't make sense is voltage regulation. I wonder if that is the 2003- 3-pin used info missing from that post?

I want to use a voltage distribution point after the generator, before the battery. I want the generator to control voltage to that point--like it used to on the "horn relay bus bar". It seems like one or two of the plug pins should be voltage feedback to drive the generator output. I can just hook it up this way and assume it will work, but I know how "***-u-me" usually works!

Thanks again for your reply. I hope you--or someone else--can tell me how to "properly" feed the regulator sensing on the system. Maybe it just automatically balances to the load at the generator? i.e. always 14.2 out, adjusting automatically to whatever amp demand?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is what you are looking for:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...esensing.shtml

This is in the electrical tech for older wiring on cars. Note the brighter headlights section this is a vast improvement over the factory setup he sells a relay kit but you can do it yourself. The section details the horn bus bar and has suggestions for strengthening your electrical system
Old 03-13-2014, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

There is no wire in the GMPP harness that you hook to for voltage control.....

The alternator wire is in the engine harness already, all you do is plug that connector into the alternator. The alternator is internally regulated. There is nothing else to do there.

You can use the horn relay as a junction, or set your own terminal strip and go from there to anything you want. The horn relay is conveniently located and usually in fairly close proximity to the alternator.

I am somewhat confused as to why you keep referring to a generator. Your 78 doesn't have one of those, it has an alternator...

T,

Quick Reply: GMPP LS3-480 controller--voltage control wire?