General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Diag assistance please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diag assistance please!

Hello, I know a bit about cars but am having an issue I cant diag. When I accelerate and the RPM's reach exactly 2 there is a slight vibration sound coming from the passenger front wheel area. So far I seem to only hear it from inside the car. This happens every time the vehicle hits 2 RPMs but only when my foot is on the gas pedal. If I rev it up past 2 it does not make the noise as the RPMs lower below 2. I know my Idle air control valve is bad (I'm replacing it today) but I cant think of any other issues I've had with this car. I'm thinking it could be perhaps a broke or loose motor mount but for it to be so consistent with the 2 RPMs I'm not sure . I have tried hitting the gas hard to see if it still makes the noise and I have tried very slowly reaching 2 RPMs and both times it still makes the noise. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. - Jess
1998 Saturn SW1 160k miles
Old 03-19-2014, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you feel the vibration in the steering wheel? Make sure the front passenger tire has the appropriate wheel weights on it. I know it sounds weird but if its unbalanced it isnt impossible for it to only vibrate at a certain rpm but it sounds like it could also be a worn strut. Its hard to diag these types of issues without actually driving the car.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Exhaust heat shield is loose, or the 02 sensor is going bad, or the cat is going bad, or the exhaust gasket is bad.

Is this on a Saturn or an fbody?

Quick Reply: Diag assistance please!