Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open headers burn out O2's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Open headers burn out O2's?

I just finished my longtube header install. i went to install my ORY and it is not going in. not possible, i need a bend put in one section to mate together and have clearance.

I have no trailer to tow her to the exhaust shop which is 10 miles away. So i need to drive it there to finish up the exhaust.

i read that if you drive around with open headers the O2 sensors can be damaged because they are close to the collector opening, so i clamped part of the kit on the collectors so there is about 1.5-2 feet of tubing over the end of the collectors. Am i okay to drive to the exhaust shop? do i have enough of the exhaust put in to where the o2s wont get damaged?

thanks guys
Old 03-25-2014, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, just try to not do much idling or any other driving besides getting it there.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove around a bit with mine and it fouled all my plugs. It's not great on the o2's either. Like thunder said, try to limit how much you drive it. You are going to have no down low power. Found that out at a stoplight trying to leave like normal lol
Old 03-26-2014, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The more it idles or stays in a low RPM cruise the worse it will be. Exhaust pulses pull fresh air into the collectors and the o2 sensor reads it as "severe lean" and will dump fuel to compensate.

The pipes you put on will help limit that a lot.

Quick Reply: Open headers burn out O2's?