Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

e85 fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e85 fuel system

Ok I have a pretty stout na motor I'm building right now that I'm wanting to put on e85 and I need some help. The motor is pry gonna make 650 give or take at the flywheel and right now I just have a walbro 255 and hot wire kit with stock feed line and a aftermarket regulator with a -8 return. My question is how far can I go on e85 and stock line? If I was to switch to like a 340 or bigger efi pump would that be ok or is the stock feed line still my biggest set back. Now here is the part that will throw most people in here for a loop. It's actually a carb motor so it only runs at 6-8 psi (hence the big return).

I'm just trying to figure out if and what I would need to upgrade to make this motor work on corn. Idk if it would be better to keep my pump and upgrade the feed line size or if I can just throw a bigger pump in and call it a day. Any help is appreciated! Thanks
Old 04-04-2014, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I cant be of any more help but I can tell you the from the import world where I came from a Walbro 255 would not push you into the 600+rwhp mark as the pump simply can not flow to match the approximate 33% more fuel consumption required for E85. I have seen Supra guys with twin-intake 255's break the 600+rwhp mark but most have upgraded to larger pumps.

Another thing to keep in mind is that now some manufacturers offer proven E85 compatible fuel pumps with appropriate rings, fittings etc. Not to say that you couldnt get away with E85 and the 255's but Walbro and AEM and Jays Racing have guaranteed E85 compatible pumps.

Also, again from personal observation some locals have had no issues with Aluminum or SS fuel lines and some have had many issues with fuel line degredation. Most of the Supra guys who I know of have upgraded their fuel system to PTFE or PTFE coated lines to ensure compatibility but again thats not to say some have gotten away without the upgrade.
http://iqlearningsystems.com/ethanol...patibility.pdf

Just food for thought sir.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm making 600+ in a NA SBF stroker, on e85. I use a Aeromotive A100 pump, -8 feed, and -6 return. The stock hanger in the tank was replaced with a solid pick up. No problems with fuel starvation at all.

If you get fuel starvation at high rpm's, you blow the motor before you finish the sentance, "What's that strange noise?"

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Spend the bux now for a top notch fuel system to match your top notch engine.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running an NA LSX454, makes approx 650 at the fly. Not a big fan of dual main pumps as if one fails the engine will still run and possibly lean out. At least with one large single if there is a problem the engine stops. I have a Weldon DB2015 pump with PWM controller, I used 5/8 feed and 1/2 return, regulator in bay. I agree with above, leaning out at high revs is something that is just not worth taking the risk on.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I would go with either the AEM E85 pump or the even the Walbro 485. The AEM pump is about the same size as the Walbro and will flow about 650 HP on E85. The Walbro 485 should flow 800 or so on E85. The AEM pump is $120 and the Walbro is around $160. Can't beat that for a pump that fits like stock and doesn't require rediculous modifications.

Stock feed line is more than enough to support 600whp on E85. VRSenator065 is running 5/8" feed which is enough fuel line for about 3000 HP. Can you say overkill?
Old 04-09-2014, 02:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Can you say overkill?
Coz us car guys never get accused of that ha ha

Not what I was told from my fuel guy (Earls) -10 for +1000HP, I built mine with some headroom for future mods. Was running the lines anyways, no harder to run -10 than -8.

Quick Reply: e85 fuel system