Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V1 compared to V2

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V1 compared to V2

I've had my 2004 CTS-V for about 4.5 years now, and I'm at a tipping point. The Gen2 CTS-V is coming down in price, and my V is still worth a fair value if i sell it now. The Gen2 has a ton of things that make it a better car on paper.

I'm wondering how many of you guys moved from a V1 to a V2, and what you have to say about the differences.

For reference I drive the car fairly hard. I've been averaging 6+ auto crosses and 1 track day per year. I haven't driven one, but I feel like the Gen2 would show its weight at the autox, but really shine on track.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not driven a V2, but i agree, the weight and size would be hard to deal with for autoX. for a daily driver it looks like it would be a lot nicer car to drive, but you are also going to take a hit in fuel economy (if you really care) It is all a trade off.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously if you have the cash, Gen2 is better in every way. I wanted one, just couldn't justify the price difference.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

I have pondered this myself. The V2 is too refined for me to mod or take to the track or auto-x. If anything I would toss some wheels or lower it a little and just enjoy it as a DD.

Give me a C7 and watch me go nutz on mods!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd get a V2 wagon... Make it throw like 800whp down, go find exotics, rape them with it, leave the window down so my kid can wave as we walk everyone like little poodles.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bmylez
Obviously if you have the cash, Gen2 is better in every way. I wanted one, just couldn't justify the price difference.
In power, comfort and refinement - yes. In handling and mpg, I think the V1 probably gets the nod. The V1 is still pretty tossable, and there's something to be said about still being able to get 23-25mpg on the highway compared to 18-19 for a lot of people.

I'll tell ya this - I ran a V2 sedan on a tollroad in IL last September and it wasn't much of a difference.... 60-130.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think fuel economy is a concern in this discussion, but I could be wrong. He did mention that he races, so handling is a concern...but a gen2 can make up for it with power, haha.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

No kidding! For *****'s sake buy a Nissan Leaf if worried about gas mileage. I've never once had anyone ask me about the rear seating room, trunk space, towing capacity, or frickin' gas mileage on a V series Cadillac.

It's a factory fast Cadillac with a performance V8 engine that turns a lot heads and is a thrill drive - it gets the "nods"
Old 04-08-2014, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the trouble you will have with a V2 is finding the right car for the right price that is a manual. They are few and far between and the hell if I want to road race or autox an auto car.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I think the trouble you will have with a V2 is finding the right car for the right price that is a manual. They are few and far between and the hell if I want to road race or autox an auto car.
I agree but the 6 speed autos are getting pretty good these days. I'd have to have a manual wagon... How many of those you think are out there? Lol not many
Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
I agree but the 6 speed autos are getting pretty good these days. I'd have to have a manual wagon... How many of those you think are out there? Lol not many
I must be from a different generation. Even if it's a 1kwhp Vseries wagon...I still see a station wagon - mini-van. When it gets into "wagons" I start looking at trucks. BTW I own a Honda Odyssey and love it - for trips and hauling stuff.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:21 AM
Teching In

I'd love me a wagon. I owned an Audi avant. Loved it. I also find that wagons have a generally more neutral feeling to the handling. The extra weight in the back gets them closer to the sought after 50/50 fr. Then you can load it up with whatever **** you want to move around and still have fun. Best of both worlds, jack of all really.

The only thing I don't like about the V2 is the cluster. I don't like the stupid light following the speedo and speed increases, and having the giant speedo in the centre instead of the tach or just side by side.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why are there so many V2s for sale?

Not because they made so many of them and not because you can get a better financing deal cause I got 5% on my 05 last year....

It might be a bit much for a daily...I'd go to jail with that much power and I'd go broke putting gas in it and tires on it...

kinda like dating a stripper.....the girl next door is easier to live with and she'll do anything the stripper will if you treat her right.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1247
the girl next door is easier to live with and she'll do anything the stripper will if you treat her right.
Can you quantify this? I know me some girls next door type, and I know me some strippers, the gap between them (that I see) is vast! Plus, I'm impatient; I don't want to have to spend years training and testing with the girl next door when the stripper is ready to go!

Don't get me wrong V2's are amazing and worlds ahead of the V1, but I'm still not getting one. They made too many of them so there is no exclusivity, and I see no reason to justify their cost. Money well spent on modding the V1.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Can you quantify this? I know me some girls next door type, and I know me some strippers, the gap between them (that I see) is vast! Plus, I'm impatient; I don't want to have to spend years training and testing with the girl next door when the stripper is ready to go!
I can only quantify this gap you refer to in inches nick.....my condolences.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1247
I can only quantify this gap you refer to in inches nick.....my condolences.
Yeah there is that. To which it depends on the driver whether or not he can.....fill out the seat. Then ya have to take into account the investment of time and training the inexperienced rather then simply properly recruiting the already knowledgeable and well experienced.

It's fun how this relates to V1/V2 comparisons
Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Yeah there is that. To which it depends on the driver whether or not he can.....fill out the seat. Then ya have to take into account the investment of time and training the inexperienced rather then simply properly recruiting the already knowledgeable and well experienced.

It's fun how this relates to V1/V2 comparisons
LOL!!

Referring back to the V2, it takes significantly more money to recruit it so I'm fine working with the girl next door....

Ultimately, the V1 will need a little more attention to get it where I want her to be but when I get her there, she'll be less headache!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by philistine

I must be from a different generation. Even if it's a 1kwhp Vseries wagon...I still see a station wagon - mini-van. When it gets into "wagons" I start looking at trucks. BTW I own a Honda Odyssey and love it - for trips and hauling stuff.
That's the point of the wagon... Sleeper, til I open the cutouts and the taps. I'll probably never get a V2. Hopping up a V1 is way to much fun. My next purchase is going to be a truck. I sold my 59 Ford F100 and I want to get another pickup. Everyone needs a pickup.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

I'm with you....i'd rather have the V1 and nice cummins 12 valve than a V2
Old 04-09-2014, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Only one for sale that I saw in person was a manual. Funny enough.

If I could swing a V2, I wouldn't have ever bought a V1 to begin with.

Quick Reply: V1 compared to V2