General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeal noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Squeal noise

My buddy just picked up an 01 trans am.

Sounds like a pulley is bad, but it makes the sound with no belts attached either. Any else he can try to pinpoint it to?

thanks
Old 04-12-2014, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

Well so long as you took both belts off, some people miss the A/C belt, then you need to determine if it's in the engine, trans, or flywheel area. Does it sound louder from the front or back of the engine. Sometimes engine bearings can squeak like that when they get starved for oil, or I suppose it could be related to the input of the trans. Thats going to be really hard to help with over the internet.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Unfortunately, its worse than expected. Gonna be a lifter or something. Tear down will have to happen
Old 04-13-2014, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ND2RACE
Well so long as you took both belts off, some people miss the A/C belt, then you need to determine if it's in the engine, trans, or flywheel area. Does it sound louder from the front or back of the engine. Sometimes engine bearings can squeak like that when they get starved for oil, or I suppose it could be related to the input of the trans. Thats going to be really hard to help with over the internet.
Yeah, it's my car but I was busy messing with it and asked him to make a thread for me. After pulling both belts and it still making the noise, I pulled the filter and found metal shaving along with brass chunks. Just gonna have to wait until my dad is done with his drag car so that I can use his shop to pull the motor and go through it. Hoping it's minor but if I have the motor out I might as well do what I want, rather than pulling it several times.

Thanks for your input and thanks Andrew for helping me out by making this thread.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ticking is a lifter. Squealing is a rod bearing.

Quick Reply: Squeal noise