Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

New suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New suspension

Check out the new suspension and motor plate that I put on my second gen Camaro. The motor plate is off a Daytona prototype, and the front tire width is an amazing 80". It features a state of art zero scrub spindle, long control arms, 1-11 offset, 16 X 12 BBS rims, Alcon monoblock TA6 calipers, brembo floating rotors, and Appleton steering rack. We switched from 18 inch to 16 inch wheels because we are road racing and there is more choice of tires. This is the size run on SCCA Gt-1 and T/A cars. We will be running goodyear 16 X 14 radial slicks at 250 compound. Our first race will be a NASA event at CMP in May. Can't wait!!!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1397410701
Attached Thumbnails New suspension-img_0358.jpg  
Old 04-14-2014, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Holy hell man. I would love to see more detailed pics and specs. 80in track width and 14in wide slicks boggles the mind.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:28 PM
Teching In

I am currently building a tube frame corvette for SCCA GT-1 and T/A. I was running a DSE suspension on the vintage Camaro. It was very high quality, but I had lowered the car so much that the suspension geometry was not really optimized. Rather than "re-invent the wheel", it was just really easier to put the corvette suspension pick up points on the Camaro and make a second set of spindles and control arms. The secondary benefit is now both cars will be the same and share 16" wheels and tires and spare parts.

BTW, I have a set of Fiske 18" wheels for sale that I ran with the DSE suspension

corvette frame

Camaro frame

Camaro brakes
Attached Thumbnails New suspension-img_0324.jpg   New suspension-img_0371.jpg   New suspension-img_0362.jpg  
Old 04-14-2014, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

those brakes are worth more than my car lol
Old 04-16-2014, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that car has to be an absolute blast on the track. Thanks for providing food for thought
Old 05-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Default Scrub Radius

Joseph,
From the pictures of your Camaro with the DSE setup, it looks like you might have been running a fair amount of positive scrub radius. Do you by chance remember what it was and what your experiences were with it? I see that you have now switched all of that out with your new spindles, control arms, etc. to achieve zero scrub. I'm currently working with a similar C6 derived front suspension (AME) and would love to widen the track with a negative offset wheel but am afraid the change in scrub radius will do more harm than good.
Thanks,
SW
Old 05-13-2014, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool, who made the spindles?
Old 05-23-2014, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Sorry for the delay in my reply, We have been madly trashing getting ready for the NASA event at CMP. The mods worked great. We broke the V1 and SU track record with a 1:39.1 race lap on Saturday on a very slick track. Next race will be Road Atlanta june 14-15.

The spindles are custom made by Meissen Engineering. They are standard SCCA trans am chassis components.

The previous suspension had 5" of scrub. Changing to zero scrub has many advantages. The tires don't ware as much in long races. Also, it is what you can do with your set up specs. It allows you to run 8 to 10 degrees of caster. This high caster really increases camber when you turn the wheel. Therefore, static camber can be significantly reduced which helps braking and strait line stability. We changed so much on the car, it is difficult to say the effect of the scrub change.

In short sessions some scrub might actually be beneficial if it helps you get temperature in the tires, and provides some more "driver feel".

Next month we will be installing a watts link set up with a rear housing that can be adjusted for toe and camber.

BTW, I have one set of 18" Fiske rims still for sale.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

What does scrub refer to? The rest angle of the upper control arms?
Old 05-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Teching In

It refers to where the ball joints are in relation to the tire contact patch. If you draw an imaginary line through the upper and lower ball joint and intersect it with the ground. If the line is exactly in the middle of the tire contact patch, it is zero scrub.

In most cars, the ball joints are near the inside edge of the rim. When you turn the wheel, the contact patch sweeps back and forth around the ball joint axis, so the entire contact patch is "scrubbing". In zero scrub, the contact patch is rotating around the ball joint axis which is in the center of the contact patch.

One of the suspension books probably can explain this better than I am and have pictures as well.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Info on the said Fikses?
Old 05-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Teching In

I have PMed you about the rims.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:19 AM
Teching In

extremely nice setup , let us know how you do at road atlanta.

Quick Reply: New suspension