Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A 4l60e that really holds

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A 4l60e that really holds

I have a 2000 Silverado shortbed single cab two wheel drive that has lq9 with stage 2 799s and Torquer v3 with bolt ons, The transmission was rebuilt by an expert and installed Transgo hd2 kit and I asked him to make the transmission more beefed to hold the power,so he used all the washers that comes in the transgo kit it shifts hard I can live with that but the transmission is acting weired lately,sometimes it shifts super fine off idle and wot but later it acts weired it shifts and act like its slipping,I have this problem and I told the guy who rebuilt the trans and he told me its your converter so I swapped the B&M 3000 holeshot to EDGE 4500 the truck runs very strong now but still acts weired sometimes,I have no MIL light on checked the TPS its fine my truck runs mafless,where can I start to look at things? Is there something wrong inside the transmission? If so is there other parts I can get to make the 4l60e better trans? I will get billet servos by the end of this month
Old 04-15-2014, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What gear is it acting funny in? 1-2 shift 2-3 shift or 3-4???
Old 04-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Using all the washers just makes for unnecessarily jarring 1-2 shifts. Use one at most.

Like the man said, you're going to have to give a better description if you're going to get any help on this forum diagnosing the problem.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
What gear is it acting funny in? 1-2 shift 2-3 shift or 3-4???
1-2 and 2-3 sometimes this problem pops up and sometimes it shifts super fine if the washers are useless and causes other problems I will remove them and keep one
Old 04-16-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 392 Likes on 300 Posts

As RevGTO mentioned and very experienced builders like PBA agree, don't use more than 1 spacer in the 1-2 accumulator with the HD2 shift kit.

Remember that the PCM completely controls when the trans shifts and to a great extent how hard it shifts. However if under the same conditions some shifts are hard and others are soft (especially with slippage), this can be caused by a "sticky" EPS (pressure control solenoid, also called PCS). Several builder here have told me they not only replace the EPS with every rebuild, but just about any time a 4L60E car comes to their shop with apparent trans problems.
Once the 1-2 accumulator is out (to reduce the # washers), it is only one more bolt to replace the EPS, which costs under $30.
So I would suggest replacing the EPS and changing the 1-2 accumulator to only have one washer. Start there and tell us how that works for you.
This is no guarantee to fix your issues, but IMHO has a reasonable probability.

Well, actually the first thing you should consider is a sensor problem as this will also affect shift quality. Disconnecting the MAF is a quick way to test if the MAF is marginal. I don't recommend WOT with the MAF disconnected unless you are absolutely sure the PCM was tuned for speed density operation.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mrvedit
As RevGTO mentioned and very experienced builders like PBA agree, don't use more than 1 spacer in the 1-2 accumulator with the HD2 shift kit.

Remember that the PCM completely controls when the trans shifts and to a great extent how hard it shifts. However if under the same conditions some shifts are hard and others are soft (especially with slippage), this can be caused by a "sticky" EPS (pressure control solenoid, also called PCS). Several builder here have told me they not only replace the EPS with every rebuild, but just about any time a 4L60E car comes to their shop with apparent trans problems.
Once the 1-2 accumulator is out (to reduce the # washers), it is only one more bolt to replace the EPS, which costs under $30.
So I would suggest replacing the EPS and changing the 1-2 accumulator to only have one washer. Start there and tell us how that works for you.
This is no guarantee to fix your issues, but IMHO has a reasonable probability.

Well, actually the first thing you should consider is a sensor problem as this will also affect shift quality. Disconnecting the MAF is a quick way to test if the MAF is marginal. I don't recommend WOT with the MAF disconnected unless you are absolutely sure the PCM was tuned for speed density operation.
I will replace the pressure control solenoid and remove two washers,my truck is mafless tuned also

Quick Reply: A 4l60e that really holds