Sponsored by:

Question a modifying 2004r governor

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 11:08 PM
UOP
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question a modifying 2004r governor

I've tried searching the web but I'm not finding the exact answer I'm looking for. I'm running a 2004r in my swapped RX7 and will be needing to up the WOT shift rpm with my new motor. The trans is a stage 2 Extreme Automatics unit with his BRZ valve body. Originally it was calibrated to shift at 5000 rpm, but I was able to trim the small governor weight to achieve a shift rpm of 5800.

What I'd like to do is calibrate it to shift at 6500, but have come across a few posts (other sites) that suggest you can't do that without running into part thottle shift issues or inconsistent WOT shifts. Sure I could manually shift it but this is my bracket/index car and I like paying attention to the race, not staring at the tach.

Is it as easy as just trimming some more weight from the governor or am I looking at a whole new valvebody/governor?

Some insight from you 2004r guys would really be helpful.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2014, 11:42 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

There is no valve body governor combination from the factory. You will have to grind on the weight as you said and see what happens. You could play with different springs to help with the part throttle shift if you run into part throttle problems. I would start with a different governor to start with, that way you have a good governor that is somewhat close to start with.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/thr...ead-tr.263025/

While not a combo offered by the factory, this combo is made up of factory pieces.

The problem with the brf combo is that with the vb springs and the governor weight already real small, there isn't much room to grind off more without running out of weight.

Let us know how it works if you give it a try.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Probably not going to work with the VB you have. You may be able to achieve that shift point but it will likely be inconsistent.
Call me at the shop and I'll give you some tips.

Quick Reply: Question a modifying 2004r governor