Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Car wont take gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont take gas?

So I had an issue the other day where my car wouldn't take a single drop of fuel, it would just instantly start puking out the filler neck down the side of the car..... I've had a code for an EVAP issue for a couple weeks now as well.

Obviously the fuel tank vent valve isn't working properly. My car is an 01 so it has the plastic tank with the canister on top like the one in the picture. Can anybody tell me where the tank vent valve is in this picture? And where I should start with trying to fix this issue? Thanks

Old 08-07-2014, 06:42 PM

Really? Nobody?
Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car wont take gas?-e4f8y7j.jpg

This is the vent solenoid. If the code you're getting is P0446, replace this and check the lines for blockage by canister particulates. While you're there, the tank pressure sensor is a candidate for replacement also.

Last edited by fruitsalad; 08-07-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same issue, The evap switch had been removed and the line capped, when I pulled the cap off, problem solved.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by fruitsalad

This is the vent solenoid. If the code you're getting is P0446, replace this and check the lines for blockage by canister particulates. While you're there, the tank pressure sensor is a candidate for replacement also.
I actually removed the vent solenoid today, what pita that is with the tank still in the car.... Gonna get a new one and hopefully that solves the issue. Where is the tank pressure sensor?
Old 08-07-2014, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

The black sensor on top of the fuel sending unit (looks like a map sensor) is the fuel tank pressure sensor
Old 08-07-2014, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

Car wont take gas?-z1zyxiw.jpg
Old 08-08-2014, 03:47 PM

Alright, so I did a crude test on the vent solenoid. When there is no power supply to the unit, it is open, I can blow through it no problem. When the unit is hooked up to power, the valve shuts. So everything seemed to be working fine...... Until I tried to open the valve again (disconnect power) while blowing decently hard into the unit. What is happening is when I try to open it again while blowing hard into it, the valve would not open, its stays stuck shut until I reduce the amount of pressure im blowing into it and then it opens..... Keep in mind this is all just using my lungs so I highly doubt I can build any sort of significant pressure comparable to the conditions inside the tank, and believe me when I say I wasn't blowing that hard. So is this thing just fagged out and cant open under pressure anymore????

No gay blow jokes please lol
Old 08-09-2014, 11:32 AM

When I remove the cap I don't hear any hissing or any pressure relief. What happens is the fuel cant make it past the filler neck. The neck fills up and the fuel just stays there. Its not making its way into the tank. Idk whats going on, replaced the vent valve today and the car still wont take fuel. I tried to fill it up and I could only fill up the filler neck. Brought it home, let the pressure out via the green fitting under the hood and the fuel made its way into the tank...... I had the code scanned again while I was out with the car. I have a p0440. and a p1415 which is a secondary air injection bank 1, drivers side air check valve. The p0440 code is pretty vague.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:23 PM

Alright PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! I tested my evap purge solenoid valve (the one under the hood) yesterday and it didn't do squat. So I said screw it and went out and bought a new one this morning, threw it in in the parts store parking lot and the CEL went off about a 1/4 mile down the road. I then went straight to a gas station and she took gas no issues and I drove probably 25+ miles after that and no CEL

Quick Reply: Car wont take gas?