General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

please help 99 TA wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default please help 99 TA wont start

this morning the car would'nt start the battery display showed real low inbetween 6-8 volts. it's usalley allways low around this 6-8V area however
it allways turns over now it won't turn over.

last time the battery ran down this low I accidentalley left the key turned on over night do'nt think anything was left turned on.

I removed the battery and the multimeter says it has 12.53 volts so how much voltage doe's the TA need to start the car.

edit I think the battery is about 5 years old it's ar eplacement the same Delco as the car orginalley came w/

thanks for any helpfull advice.

Last edited by badmfkr; 08-27-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

12.53v is more than enough to start the engine (a fully charged, brand new battery should have 12.6v, but mine has often dropped as low as 12.2-12.3 in my garage queen LS1 and it still starts the engine no problem), but at 5 years old the battery is getting to an age where you'll likely want to replace it soon.

The problem with a basic multi-meter is that can't load test the battery to see how it performs under load.

When you turn the key, does it even register? Was their cranking, clicking, any sound at all? Did you try hooking up a jump-starter, or charging the battery at all prior to taking that reading?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

no I've never tryed to jump this car off ever.

I checked all the fuses they are all OK don't know how to check relays.

I hear the fuel pump come on.

Just swapped in a new AC delco 550CCA battery when I turn the key to on the dash guage is at the same place directly inbetween the 6V and 8V.

same as before no engine turn over or start. click nothing. all dash lighs come on.

Guess I'll check the voltage at the starter. any suggestions on why this new battery reads the same voltage as the old battery?

edit: I think the burgular alarm is preventing the starting on motor. whenever I reconnect the battery the horns is constantly blowing, a little differnt than when the car is bumped or tryed to be broken into then the headlights come on/off alone w/ the horn.

edit: the VATS has been adjusted 13 years ago w/out problem.

Last edited by badmfkr; 08-27-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

just crawled under car to attemp mearsuring voltage at the starters signal wire.

I can only see one terminal not sure if it's the battery lead or negative going back into starter or if it's the signal wire from ignition?

must the starter be removed to test the wire from the ignition switch?

Quick Reply: please help 99 TA wont start