Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone who has bent pushrods, please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default anyone who has bent pushrods, please help

I missed a shift yesterday. And the car immediately began stumbling. When I made a turn to park the car. It stalled out and wouldn't restart. Today, I took the pushrods out and I had four bent ones.
My question is, would the bent pushrods have caused the car not to restart or to stall out, or should I be looking for another problem?
Also this was a stock motor on a 98 SS. Do I have to worry about bent valves or damaged pistons? or just replace the pushrods and go.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes you'll be able to tell a bent valve if you take the rocker arms off and put a straight edge across the top of the valve stems. If one is bent it will probably be lower than the others. You could also do a compression or leakdown test cause a bent valve will not seal. When I bent a pushrod it just ticked really loud, didn't cause the engine to run bad.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have went through my fair share of pushrods. I am a pro at installing them now lol. Ya it could cause it to stall and not restart... Happened to me once. Get a few new pushrods and becareful of miss shifting. I can ship u 5 pushrods... (good ones) for whatever it will cost to ship... u pay the 5 bucks it costs to ship and ill send u them. But its up to u. The ones i have... have about 20k on them... Just let me know man... Where are u located by the way.. maybe i or u could take a friendly trip. My e-mail is mooley@comcast.net and my aim name is mooley09.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is stumbling badly like you said, you have a 99% chance of a busted valve. Pray your pistons are ok too.