Old 12-15-2014, 02:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A test of how much oil pools in the heads

The engine, on a stand:
  • LS7 heads with LS7 rockers
  • LS1 valve covers
  • LS2 block with drilled lifter trays
  • 50.1 degrees block tilt (equivalent to 1.20 gee)
  • Oil added through the filler hole in the valve cover (no filler neck present)

I tried to keep things precise, but the (brand new) valve cover gasket started leaking when I had about 0.5 quart of oil in it (the valve cover may not have seated all the way due to contact with the rocker arms). It didn't leak bad - just a steady drip, maybe an oz or so in total.

When I added the last of the 2nd quart of oil, oil started to come out of the filler hole. There was no sign of it starting to drain out of the block yet.

Possible solutions:
  • Reducing head volume. I don't know how quickly oil gets pumped into the heads, but even if you cut the volume to one quart I wouldn't think this change would make a difference in the span of most corners.
  • External drains back to the oil pan. At 50.1 degrees this would help, but it doesn't look like it'd do a whole lot. An electric scavenge pump would probably do a much better job.
  • Pushrod restrictors seem like the simplest solution, assuming they won't lead to other valvetrain-related failures.
  • A large-capacity oil pan that doesn't notice the oil stuck in outside head.

Has anyone else done a test like this?
Old 12-18-2014, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have easily sustained 1.2 G in my car, I have no leaks, no oil cooler, no dry sump, no accusump.

God only knows how many laps. 30K miles, still kickin'.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:31 AM
Launching!

Yes 1.2 is not a lot, but on street tires its rare to average more over longer corners, which usually involve a lot of WOT acceleration. The early year LS7s could starve when they average > 1.0 gee for 4 or more seconds.

I've got a trap-doored, high-capacity oil pan I'm going to use, but am considering oil restrictors in the pushrods too.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:17 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I doubt people are actively filling their engine with oil while driving around a corner at 1.2gs.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by scj
I doubt people are actively filling their engine with oil while driving around a corner at 1.2gs.
Um, what? He was testing oil returning back to the pan
Old 01-30-2015, 10:33 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

What I'm saying is, unless you're filling the engine with oil while its tilted like that it there wouldn't be 2qts of oil in the head, and if the engine was doing a turn of 1.2gs in a car how long would it take the engine to pump 2qts of oil into that head to sit there and not drain back. I don't think the experiment is a very accurate or a real world application showing anything that would actually happen IMO.

Quick Reply: A test of how much oil pools in the heads