Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

output shaft play

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default output shaft play

Does anyone know if there is a bearing or something in the tailshaft that could wear out and cause excessive play? I've had a horrible vibration/shudder since I put my engine/tranny in this current car and have just about run out of ideas. I swapped in an aluminum driveshaft last night and nothing changed-except my credit card bill went up again. It's a pulsating type sensation that shakes the whole car. It starts at around 1200 rpms and gets worse till it peaks at 2200. Past that, theres not much of anything. Anyway, last night I noticed I could wiggle the output shaft a lot more than I thought it would move and was wondering if that could cause the problems I am experiencing. Thanks
Old 05-28-2004, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any leaks at the rear seal/driveshaft yoke that you can't get stopped? If not,it is unlikely its the tailhousing bushing. Does the problem occur only when moving,or can the vibration be felt while reving in park or nuetral? Have you installed a poly transmount lately?
Old 05-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did have a minor drip or two, so I just replaced it while I did the u-joints. It does actually shake some while in neutral/park, although it's not as intense. I had a tranny guy drive the car earlier today, and he thinks it might be the converter or converter/flexplate connection. It seemed as though I had to pull the converter towards the flexplate quite a bit to get the bolts to reach, so maybe there's something there. Thanks for the reply.