Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! All 8 cylinders fired in wrong order !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 05:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation HELP!!! All 8 cylinders fired in wrong order !!!!!

This is pretty damn embarassing to post this but I need help in the worst way.

I did the coil relocation mod and didn't mark the wires (I know, I know). When I attempted to wire the 4 harnesses on each side they were backwards. The battery was completely dead so I jumped it, let it get some juice for a while and started it up.

First time it turned over once or twice and make a couple misfire/backfire noises in the engine compartment. Second time it made a loud boom, I shut the car off and looked in the intake via the TB and a small thin cloud of smoke came out.
I switched the wires and it started up fine. However it idled rough and stayed @ about 900 RPM's. It ran consistently rough w/ a few subtle exhaust pops here and there. There aren't any loud ticking noises or anything. Autotap showed (2) P0102, P1626, and P0803.
The plan was to give the engine compartent a complete facelift for the Power Tour monday. This was the first time the car was started in 3.5 months. The gas was also 3.5 months old (put a bottle of HEET in before starting it)
Basically I need to know how bad I F'd up my car. TIA
Old 06-04-2004, 05:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Ouch,
The trick is to use masking tape and number your wires as per cylinder # so when u relocate them you know which ones go where!

If you did finally put them in the right order, I would disconnect the battery again after a few minutes, reconnect and start up again. Take a 50 mile ride so your PCM will adjust itself.
Also 1/2 a tank of premium and some good injector cleaner to clean any hardened carbon build up in your fuel system (I recommend Redline).

Autotap again to check for any missfires.

PS: I would recommend changing your oil ASAP and to check and clean plugs (Check gap also)
Old 06-04-2004, 10:26 AM
Teching In

ttt
Old 06-04-2004, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Your motor is probably fine. I've done that before with aftermarket ignition systems on SBCs, and nothing was ever hurt.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

...my coil pack wire got separated from the harnise once and created a LOT of backfires 1/4 mile from home ....

It did not hurt the motor, however.... If you turned it off within a minite or so your probably OK.....
Old 06-04-2004, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ellessone
ttt
Did I say something wrong?
Old 06-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Did I say something wrong?
No, No, No, I was just waiting to see what other people said and hoping there wasn't going to be a "yeah your screwed post". Thanks a lot for your suggestions, going to try and reset the PCM right now.

Do you guys think the 3.5 month old gas is bad to be letting run into the engine?? Thanks again
Old 06-05-2004, 06:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Like I said one can of "red line" and top it off with 93 (If you can) that would cure your gas. 3.5 month is nothing unless you had water in your tank or other contaminant.
Remember to change your oil ASAP as with repeated missfires you certainly have petrol in your oil and it is crap now. Also check your plugs + gap.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Petrol in the oil? Could you elaborate a little please. I normally only change my oil every 3-5k with M1 synthetic. I don't conform to the change every 3mo or 3k. I went 7 months one time. I didn't know the oil could get contaminated so easily.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

With repeated missfires like he had the unburned petrol that was in his CC's would have found its way past the rings into the oil pan and contaminated his oil.