Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help please take a look.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some help please take a look.

Ok I'm the guy that bent all the intake valves about 3 weeks ago on a cam swap. I had the heads ported and polished w/ valve job new guides, valves and seals. I'm running a 237/242 cam with 7.4 hardened pr's and lunati pro mod springs/Ti retainers. I've got about 600mi on the car since I got it back together.

In this time frame I have burnt about 2qts of oil in 500 of the 6. I had the oil changed today and no sooner than I get about 10 miles I start to hear my motor knock. So I have it towed back to my place after I got off work pulled the valve covers hopeing it was just a rocker arm that backed out. That wasn't it so I pulled the spark plugs and found that the number 5 cylinder's plug was completely covered in oil. I have to do a leak down and compression check this weekend if I get the chance.

So does anyone have any ideas as to what my knocking might be or where I should start to look next? Any ideas are better than none and right now I'm open to anything.
Thanks
Brandon
Old 06-04-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Are the rocker arm bolts sealed with any thing? With ported heads the bolt hole is exposed to the intake port. If its not sealed with anything oil will run down the bolt into the head. Just use some teflon paste or loctite
Old 06-04-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps I am confused on the time of events. Did you get the heads ported and polished and all the valves and seals replaced AFTER you bent the valves? If so, are you sure that everything was installed correctly. A bent valve can destroy the seals thus causing a leak like you are experiencing, but if all that stuff was done after the bent valves, perhaps there is still damage in that cylinder.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:12 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rockers are a good place to start other than that look for a guide to be bad or a valve seal it can happen on start up if they don't have enough lube to get them thorugh until the oil gets there ETC... Also look to see if something made it's way into the cylinder there are a ton of things that could have happened ,but I think you are on the right track do a leak down and listen to where it is leaking from if it is ETC... and just keep narrowing it down. Good luck . Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Yeah sorry about the confusion I'm just alittle mad at my car right now thats all. I did the heads after I bent all the valves. So the guides, seals, seats, valves are all new. I was going to fix the oil burning issue this weekend; but now that the motor is knocking I have to fix that then worry about the oil thing.

Any ideas on why my motor would start to knock? I checked the rocker arms and all were tight don't know if they still had 22ft lbs of torque, but they didn't move other than alittle side-to-side. Springs are good still as well. So I'm thinking that after the leak down and compression test I will have to pull the heads again. Would I be correct to assume this or is there another avenue I could take? Once again thanks for the replies and keep them coming.
Brandon
Old 06-05-2004, 03:40 PM
Launching!

TTT any help is good help no matter what
Thanks
Brandon