Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Roller 346 people.. come on in!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Solid Roller 346 people.. come on in!

Please tell us all about your setup. I'd like to know what pushrods, springs, rockers you are running. Cam specs too. How does it compare to your hydraulic roller setup, and would you do it again. Also, what problems did you run into and what advice you can offer someone that might be going that route in the near future.
Thanks
Old 06-10-2004, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm...NO replys...
Old 06-10-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

I also would be very interested in this kind of information. I'm going to build ORR motor for the unlimited class and this is the way I'll be going.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:01 PM
Banned

I just figured that more people would have some input. If you ever want to discuss my pros and cons just give me a call sometime.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:43 AM
10 Second Club

I'm interested too... what lifters, rockers, heads, cam specs of what you are using...
Old 06-11-2004, 12:48 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Considering the amount of people on this board with SR 346's is enough to count on one hand, you probably won't get much feedback
Old 06-11-2004, 07:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Damian
Considering the amount of people on this board with SR 346's is enough to count on one hand, you probably won't get much feedback

If we can get some info and have a good discussion about it... maybe a couple more people will make the jump to SR.

Allan @ Futral has done several solid rollers, maybe he can free up a little time to give us some pro's and con's of a street friendly solid roller setup.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

I'm interested too. Any issues with knock sensors? Do the valves need to be adjusted too often? My car will always be a street car, so I also want to know what trade-offs might there be that I wouldn't want with a street car.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:24 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Solid Rollers and our 225's...

Hello...

AFR will be developing a solid roller program with the develpoment of the 225 heads. The 225's should allow even higher RPM cylinder filling which is tailor made to the advantages of a solid roller cam. We will be devloping two programs, one a solid grind, one a hydraulic grind with both cams featuring duration figures in the low/mid 230's at .050. This will allow you guys to see back to back the different results of both, and whether in your opinion a solid roller stick is "justifiable" based on the horsepower results. I'm betting on over a 10 HP advantage when the tach needle starts swinging past 6800 and an even greater advantage past the 7000 RPM mark.

To some people,the extra 10 or more HP is not worth the hassle of an occasional valve adjustment....to others it most certainly is. The testing we will be conducting will give you black and white comparisons of both which should prove to be very interesting results. Personally, I prefer the insurance a solid roller valvetrain offers at higher RPM's versus a hydraulic which ALWAYS has a higher likelyhood of valve float and loss of power (not to mention valves tagging pistons!)

I believe a solid roller valvetrain, our 225's, and a stock 346 shortblock will be a great combination for you guys that are more aggressive than most and who don't mind tinkering under the hood once in a while.....also, I'm guessing the knock retard feature of the computer will more than likely have to be disabled due to the additional internal valvetrain noise created by the solid valvetrain/lash situation, but I am only speculating. I've driven many very high performance vehicles on the street long before knock retard was standard equipment in Corvettes....so I won't be losing sleep over that.

Have you guys guessed what type of cam will be between the fenderwells of my silver "dynoqueen" next??

Regards,
Tony Mamo

PS I know your going to ask....the 225 program is still about 5-7 weeks out. Be patient please!....They WILL be worth the wait