Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

internal noob with two questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 04:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default internal noob with two questions

What I plan for my car: Heads/Cam/basic bolt-ons & suspension mods/12 bolt/slicks and run low 11's/high 10's with it as my only car and daily driver 24/7/365. (drag radials when not at track) Basically the common heads/cam...but after I (eventually ) get to that point I want to give it some juice (150 shot+) and run well into the 10's yet keep it safely reliable. Will probably upgrade the fuel system and rebuild the transmission at this point. There is my background info. Now, I have two question areas.

Question One: I want to figure out now about what I will want for each step so I don't end up going back and swapping an aftermarket part out for something else because what I have won't work well with what I want or vice versa. Assuming I work on bolt-ons and suspension components as I go, would these go well together for major components considering my goals (done piece by piece), and also, am I missing anything major??
TSP 231/237 or similer size/pattern cam
Some nice (LS6?) heads
My current 3500 stall converter
3.73's in 12 bolt with ET streets or full slicks
Built transmission?
Upgraded fuel system
Forged Internals?? (see question 2)
100-200 shot of N20.

Qustion Two: -->The one that's really an internal engine question.<---
After reaching the point of full heads/cam, what do you need to swap out from the stock bottom end to make it safe/reliable with a 100-200 shot of nitrous for a relatively long period of time? Searching showed that the stock crank, especially if balanced and kept below 7k rpm, does very well. Would I just have to replace the pistons/rings, or should I do an entire short block assembly with rods/rings/pistons/etc?? I see that forged short block assemblies are less than $3k, would that give me a relatively "bulletproof" engine?? (using the term loosely, nothing modded that far is bulletproof I know) Sorry if any of these are stupid or often asked questions, but I never usually browse this forum and until recently (doing cam research) I never worried about anything internal. I'm trying to get the most out of my money with this car, I am a 20 year old college junior (in the fall) so I don't have much money to spend on my car . I do plan to keep it indefinately though so I dont lose all my invested time/money, I will have several cars when I have the means . Thanks for any help/opinions/personal experiences/thoughts!!!