Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-rex buildup plan, all input wanted please

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 08:59 PM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T-rex buildup plan, all input wanted please

Just want to see what you guys think of this plan...

My car is now a weekend and track car. I want to go with the T-rex cam, probably AFR 225's this winter. After hearing about the Patriot Gold springs, I'm going to get that spring kit for the cam. Also getting Thunder pushrods and gasket kit, ported LS6 oil pump, double roller timing set, crank pulley bolt, and ARP rodbolts.

Opinions on all this? Anything else I'll need for 7k rpm? I'm getting more of the bolt-on mods at the same time, like Edelbrock stepped LT headers, ported tb, clutch, etc. Just want opinions on the list above. I'm thinking the stock shortblock with those mods should hold together just fine w/ 7k rpm shifts. Thoughts? Also, I've read the articles online about the cams swaps, oil pump, timing chain, etc. What about the rod bolts? Take the motor completely out or suspend it with an engine hoist and drop the k-member (if it can all be done this way)?

Last edited by BuckeyeROC; 06-26-2004 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm no expert, but I'd start saving up for a new shortblock if you plan to spin the engine to 7000 RPM on a regular basis. I'm sure it will hold up for a while, especially with the ARP bolts, but over time, that's still a lot of wear and tear. Certainly, though, shifting that high will most likely net slightly better times than shifting a few hundred RPM earlier.

That said, it looks like your component selection is right in line with most other cammed LS1s.

Have fun.

Josh
Old 06-27-2004, 07:14 PM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

Thanks Josh. Ordering soon, any other thoughts?
Old 06-27-2004, 07:16 PM
Teching In

The TREX cam freakin rule's
Old 06-27-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC
Thanks Josh. Ordering soon, any other thoughts?
looks like you have the right idea, im shifting mine at 7100 on stock rod bolts. ill change them soon. after that your good to go for a while.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you plan on AFR's you should pick a Cam that matches the flow capability's of it.The Trex does work good on stock head cars(which it is designed for) but might not be the best choice with AFR's.Do some research and give Tony a call from AFR.