Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd Error codes, suspect battery / charging system

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 03:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Odd Error codes, suspect battery / charging system

I have been getting some odd error codes recently, not really degrading performance. Last one was P0442 small EVAC leak (could be filler cap), before was something else not related. Done a scan, many codes are ready to be flagged, like 40 of em.

One thing I have noticed recently is sitting at a junction at night and see my lights flickering, I increase my revs a little and the lights flicker speed increases, if I increase like another 500 rpm the lights smooth out.

On the way into work today I got a scope on the battery, the noise on the 12V wasn't too bad only like 0.5V ripple peak to peak, even with lights on. For the lights to flicker it must be a large volt swing.

I guess there is two things this could be.
1. Diode pack or something else in the Alternator.
2. Duff cells in the battery.

The car starts fine every time, so I dont think its the battery. If the battery was okay it should be able to smooth out the voltage spikes. Unless the voltage spikes were too extreme to be smoothed.

The voltmeter on the dash looks fine, I dont see this jump as its got a very slow delay. It sits around 14V.

If the voltage is really bouncing up and down like the driving lights show then this could cause all sorts of errors on the PCM, I'm surprised it works as well as it does.

I guess I need to examine this further before some damaged is caused. Battery or Alternator?

The alternator is quite low and puddles of water is usually on the drivers side of the roads over here, so its very possible its got wet.

Any one have ideas?