Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Driveshaft or Tranny problem?? someone help diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft or Tranny problem?? someone help diagnose

this is my first post here, and unfortionately it is about about a problem im having with my car again ....
so i was driving down the hwy, and all of a sudden i hear this loud humming /grinding sound coming from god knows where...so i pull over and drive slow to listen to wtf is going on.....1st gear winds/hums loud as hell! then it hits second and quiets down big time but you can still hear it and feel it a little....the car seems to drive normal really....but it is loud as hell! sounds like a turbo charger or something, its louder than my exhaust even..... i had 3.73's put in a few months ago, and it always has had a light humming sound or w/e from the gears, but this sound isnt normal, and it came out of nowhere!.....what could this be?? tranny? driveshaft? rearend?

the sound isnt coming from the rear end, it seems to be right under the center console....so im thinking tranny or driveshaft...

thanks guys any help is really appreciated!
Old 07-01-2004, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

I would normally say axle or pinion bearing since you said it sounded like a turbo/whine.
But if you think it is coming from underneath your center console then it might be the
transmission output bushing.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

UPDATE:::

I had a friend at a shop check it out for me, and he said he definately thinks its an "output" or "input" bearing in the tranny thats bad, or is going bad......he gave some BS/TOLD YA SO idea of how my steel(stock) driveshaft could have caused this with the 3.73 gears.....so you guys tell me are the replacement bearings expensive? he said its better to replace them all.........is this a hard job??.....someone help me out