Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS3800E whines like a turbine

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS3800E whines like a turbine

Not sure if it is normal for a bigger stall but my car sounds like it is whinning sort of like a turbine. I know a torque converter is sort of a turbine but is it normal? It isnt loud but I can hear it for sure almost like a gear whine.

I am full on trans fluid and the trans was recently rebuilt and a brand new converter.

It still launches and drives correctly but it has a definate whine that I can hear mostly when I am slowing down (because the exhaust isnt loud then).

Sitting still it makes no noise at all. This is a 200-4r trans with a transbrake valve body but it should be similar for all autos if it is the stall.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it make the noise in park/neutral or just in gear?

Does giving it gas while holding the brake (in gear and neutral) change the pitch or loudness of the whine?

Generally if the sound is the same in gear as it is in park then usually it is the pump making the sound.
If the sound is only there in gear then it is most likely a torque converter making the noise.

I had a whining converter problem a while ago. There was no whine in park or neutral only in gear. As it turned out the converter had gone bad. When I checked the fluid it was full on shinny pieces of metal.

John