Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What comes close to the strenght of a spool w/out the drivability issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 07:31 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What comes close to the strenght of a spool w/out the drivability issue?

Well, Im having doubts whether I should go with a spool or not. I want to be able to drive the car here and there on the weekends. I like to make it out to car shows and meet-ups as much as I can. I really want the strength part of the spool without the drivability issue. I know everyone has their own opinion on drivability/streetability, but I sure would hate to buy this rear and for me not to be pleased with it. I do like to cruise my car every so often when she's been sittin in the garage for a while and I want to be able to do so without having issues. It seems like its not too bad, but I sure dont wanna have a girl in the car, make a turn, and she freak out thinking something is wrong with my car and to think its a piece of junk. So...is there anything out there that will come close to the strength of a spool without have issues on the street? Also, if I do decide to go with a spool, does it tear it up to drive on the street and does it shorten the life of it? Thanks a lot. By the way, I dont have an extreme setup, my goals right now are to break into the 10s and maybe when I reach that point, Im gonna shoot for some mid/upper 10s. I dont think I will get further than that. But if I do, it will be a long time from now.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran 9.82 with a HD Eaton unit. Many passes, a good bit of street mileage. NO problems. It works well with autos. Some M6 guys manage to break 'em.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about a locker? pretty strong and close to a spool but very streetable to me, drive mine everyday.
just a thought
Old 07-04-2004, 12:52 PM
9 Second Club NA

Colonel: I was talking with someone at Strange the other day and they mentioned that the upgraded super strength posi was an Eaton, is it the same one you were using? Reason I ask is because I didnt know if there was more than 1 posi offered by Eaton that works for this rear. Also, I was thinking about buying the race rear end, but with the standard gears and then adding a posi. Can you have a posi without TCS and ABS? Im in the process of getting rid of ABS, so I dont want a rear with it. Lastly, what the difference between a locker and a posi and which one should I get? Thanks.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

HD (heavy duty) Eaton is what mine is called. It's in a 12-bolt.

The posi has nothing to do with TCS or ABS.

A locker uses gears and sort of "ratchets" instead of slipping. It only allows a certain amount of differential between sides unlike a posi which *can*, under some circumstances, allow one side to spin and not the other. Lockers are somewhat jerky/noisy (pops when they ratchet) around corners. A posi is what our stock rearends have of course. No noise, no jerks, smooooooooth.

IMO, if you need more certainty that both tires are going to always be spinning at the same rate than a posi gives, it's spool time. In short, I don't care for a locker on the street.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

i have a locker on the street and its not to bad. u get used to it very quickly
Old 07-05-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Don't think that I was saying that a locker isn't streetable. Not saying that at all. Many people like 'em just fine. It's just a preference thing.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

jeremy u are gonna drive everyone crazy with all of your questions
Old 07-05-2004, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

Spool all the way! 104 k mile daily driver here . and its my one and only car. The wife didn't even notice a difference.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
Spool all the way! 104 k mile daily driver here . and its my one and only car. The wife didn't even notice a difference.
What rims/tires are you running?
Old 08-29-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
Ha Ha, I bet it takes a very special woman not to notice
Old 08-29-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I run a spool no posi will be as strong. 6 speed guys kill posi's all the time. If you are A4 go posi otherwise you'll need spool for 1.3-1.5 sixties on slicks.

Old 08-30-2004, 12:36 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,110 Likes on 728 Posts

I run a 31 spline Tractech soft locker in my Moser 9".
Old 08-30-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Although my car didn't see a lot of street time, I never minded having the spool on the road. Another vote for spool here.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by next
Although my car didn't see a lot of street time, I never minded having the spool on the road. Another vote for spool here.
with what size rim and tire on the street?
Old 08-31-2004, 08:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Have run 16x8.5 ProStar XP with a 26x11.50 and 15x10 ProStar with a 28x10.5. Rims and tires really didn't have a bearing on the spool drive-ability.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by next
Have run 16x8.5 ProStar XP with a 26x11.50 and 15x10 ProStar with a 28x10.5. Rims and tires really didn't have a bearing on the spool drive-ability.
I heard differently when your running regular low profile tires like on my stockers it is tougher to drive then on say et streets or something with flexible sidewall.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Yea, but stock tires have no bite so you could easily just slide it around a corner

The only time I noticed where the rear wanted to hop was at a real slow real tight turn. I also found that I adjusted my apex a bit when cornering slow and that helps.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Another vote for spool here. Im about to buy a 9" true spool. I have freinds that have spools and you hardly know its there
Old 09-01-2004, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
Well, Im having doubts whether I should go with a spool or not. I want to be able to drive the car here and there on the weekends. I like to make it out to car shows and meet-ups as much as I can. I really want the strength part of the spool without the drivability issue. I know everyone has their own opinion on drivability/streetability, but I sure would hate to buy this rear and for me not to be pleased with it. I do like to cruise my car every so often when she's been sittin in the garage for a while and I want to be able to do so without having issues. It seems like its not too bad, but I sure dont wanna have a girl in the car, make a turn, and she freak out thinking something is wrong with my car and to think its a piece of junk. So...is there anything out there that will come close to the strength of a spool without have issues on the street? Also, if I do decide to go with a spool, does it tear it up to drive on the street and does it shorten the life of it? Thanks a lot. By the way, I dont have an extreme setup, my goals right now are to break into the 10s and maybe when I reach that point, Im gonna shoot for some mid/upper 10s. I dont think I will get further than that. But if I do, it will be a long time from now.
You sound pretty much like me, i want to know that rear is not going to break so i got the 12 bolt. I want something strong but i dont want something that is going to tear up my soft tires by turning, its not like i can avoid turning when i weekend drive my car. Another thing you might consider is rain, if it rain and you have a spool and no TCS you more than likely will have some problem, I didnt want to risk it so i went with a posi.

Quick Reply: What comes close to the strenght of a spool w/out the drivability issue?