Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rounded arp head bolt...please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rounded arp head bolt...please help!!!!

This is crap.... Its the most rear passenger side bolt, pain in the *** to get to. Anyhow, these garbage, crappy, POS... felpro head gaskets started leaking again (2nd one that leaked), so while i was on the 2nd to last bolt it rounded. I have all other bolts off on both heads and have been using a little mirror to see it. Well, I did the most logical next step and went to sears to buy a kit to grip rounded bolts. That didn't work either. I need a way to get that bolt out without buying a picker and taking my hood off.... I can go out and buy one but absolutly want to avoid it at all costs... It seems that there is too much pressure on that bolt...so i put the whole head back on and still nothing...also tried hammering on a 1/2 inch socket...still rounded.... any advice????
Old 07-11-2004, 02:25 AM
Banned

i did the same thing man. only mine was the very back middle one. i finally had to barrow some of those sockets that have twisted teeth in them. it came right out. i dont remember exactly what they are called. but, they work.

anyways, best of luck. cause i know how fast it can make a guy throw things.lol

later, nick.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Do you have access to a welder? Worse case you could weld a socket to the head of the bolt. Or weld an extension to the head of it and use a breaker bar.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:25 AM
12 Second Club

I'd say stripped bolts are the cause of about 80% of the frustration of working on our cars. I feel your pain bro.

Good luck getting it straightened out. I've also heard of using a "crows foot" to remove stripped bolts like this ? Never seen one in action but they're supposed to work really well...

Bad30th
Old 07-11-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just put some vice grips on it and back it out.

Dope
Old 07-11-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dope
Just put some vice grips on it and back it out.

Dope
Vice grips on 65lbft head bolt will not work. Welding a socket on or those twisted teeth socket are your best bet.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Reckless
Do you have access to a welder? Worse case you could weld a socket to the head of the bolt. Or weld an extension to the head of it and use a breaker bar.
You can slowly grind the bolt head off with a dremel. I know it sounds frustrating but it works. It'll take about 20 minutes ir so, but it works. Had to do the same thing on a friend of mines car. Good Luck.

Last edited by '01 WS6 TA; 07-12-2004 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

The sockets you talk of are called Turbo sockets, the only problem with those is that when you put pressure on them to turn a bolt they want to kinda twist off one side. if you can hammer it down on the bolt really good it may work.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by strokedls1
Vice grips on 65lbft head bolt will not work. Welding a socket on or those twisted teeth socket are your best bet.
Yes it will. 65/ftlbs isn't a whole lot. I've used vice grips for just about anything, including suspension components (80+ft/lbs). Get it tight enough, and use a big enough vice grip for leverage, and it'll take anything off. Hell, I used vice grips to get my frozen battery cables off. Instead of loosening the bolt, it broke the corner off the battery (complete with the terminal).

Just an alternative. I don't have a welder, and I don't know if he does either.

Dope
Old 07-12-2004, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

How on earth is he going to weld a socket onto a bolt? Not to mention the heat + aluminum...bye-bye head.

Dremel or Vise-Grips.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Here is the thing...i used my torque wrench to try and break the bolt loose. It was torqued at 85lbs...the wrench broke that ft/lb....so that bolt is barried in there....don't know what the hell to do!!! I'm going to try either to grind it down or pull the motor...thanks for your help guys....late
Old 07-12-2004, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is any of it sticking out of the block? If so, you're fine. There won't be any tension on it anymore, so the vice grips should be fine.

Dope